SPG Wines of the World

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Simon, Oct 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I am just looking at a new brochure that looks to be given out only in Asia Pacific for a selection of wines you can drink around the world. Has anyone else seen this? It goes on about "following the success of the last couple of years" anyone know what success that are referring to?

What is cool is you can for 1,500 yen (in Japan) taste three different white or red wines on a set menu with 50 ml of each. The strange thing is that the brochure mentions many wines yet the hotel only sells less than a dozen of what is shown which means if you find one you like chances are they don't offer it. Is this the same at all hotels?

sendaiben likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is ¥1500 cool for the equivalent of 3 airplane alcohol mini-bottle sized servings? I've never been to Japan, so I don't know.

3. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty reasonable if the wine is ok! About $19 I think approx. $6.5 per? Not bad at all really.

4. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's a hotel so prices are jacked up but seems pretty reasonable to me. Three tastings equals same amount of wine as one glass so $19 US/1,500 yen for a glass of wine!

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any details on exactly what labels this is about...??

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wine (and most alcohol in general) tends to be expensive in Japan, partly because it's imported. The same is generally true in Asia. I think of perhaps 2000 yen as being a standard hotel price for a glass of OK but certainly not special wine and 3000 yen would not be at all unusual.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy to see that Terrazas is represented.... it would be nice to know if they have the good stuff from this producer, like the Afincado and Cheval des Andes series. If anybody has had the featured Terrazas labels, please do report on what exactly is being poured....