SPG TO AA 20,000 + 5,000 bonus 20% = 30,000.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by satman40, Aug 18, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don’t miss your chance to earn more miles toward your next trip with the American Airlines AAdvantage® and Starwood Preferred Guest® programs. Now through September 14, 2016, you can earn a 20% bonus when you convert your Starpoints® to AAdvantage miles.

As always, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, SPG® will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints. With the additional 20% mileage bonus offered by the AAdvantage program, you’ll receive 30,000 miles from the transaction.

Convert your miles today and plan your next vacation

2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems like a really bad deal to me. SPG still has great redemption value. AAdvantage? Wow! Not often.

Making miles harder to earn is really less of a story than the number of miles required to fly in premium cabins. I run across a deal here and there, but flights that were once easily booked at saver rates a month out are now simply not released, despite the cabins not selling out.

I was on a short TPA-MIA flight this week that was as empty as I can ever remember. F even had non-revs occupying seats. I was back on row 15 on the 738 because I got it for 7500 miles (saver). Although I have plenty of miles in my account, I wasn't willing to spend the 45,000 they wanted for F (anytime).

I'm flying home from TPA to MDE on Monday with a paid ticket in economy, and they won't let me use an SWU or miles to upgrade it, despite the very high price I paid for a last minute purchase. Just one example of how tight they are with redemption.

I paid over $1550 for the rt ticket because CM was full the day I had to depart, and although I have already qualified for EXP, I'm not willing to part with 180,000 miles for J/F on a flight of that distane. It may have indeed been the smarter choice, but it irritated me just enough to say no. Saver is 35,000 each way nationwide (excluding HI).

If only the service would match the price in miles or dollars. Don't know about the rest of you, but I've had major issues on almost every trip to or within the US this year on AA. I thought I would be flying free for the rest of the year, and I now just hope I can plan the remainder of my travel far enough in advance to avoid their redemption shenanigans. Otherwise, I'm going to be looking for price on the carrier who in balance serves me best.

satman40 likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Avois for short trip and try to save AA miles for international travel.

SPG is a good value, at their hotels.

Using miles one needs to be flexible, to get good value. Booked a JAC/ IND trip 12,500 each way, looking forward next month to shooting the Tetons as the leafs change colors.

Being retired, short fast trips are nice, and the miles are easy to accumulate.,

AA does play games, but they all do.

Go to admit the miles game has been good for many of us over the years...

4. Cochiti

Cochiti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto on saving AA miles for int'l F/C travel.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding Avios... If I book with Avios, what happens to my EXP benefits? I'm thinking they won't apply.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes they will if you add your Advantage # to the booking.

KenInEscazu and flyforawg like this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I'll try that next time AA wants an insane number of miles for an award ticket.

newbluesea likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's from my perspective the best (and really only cost effective) use of Avios.
    ie short hop NA, SA and European flights.

But you need to remember that Avios can only be used when low level awards
    inventory is available on AA plus the cost of the Avios award can in some cases be higher ( in the total amount of miles required) if your route involves multiple legs.

flyforawg likes this.