SPG Resort Fee or Platinum Free Internet?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by avflyer, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am constantly amused when I check into an SPG property with a resort or property fee. Almost all of them include free internet in this fee which varies between $12 and $25. The fee is mandatory, but where is the consideration for Plats? (we have it so rough, don't we) We already have free internet, why should we pay for it in the fee?

Has anyone asked SPG about this?

2. SLF
    Original Member

SLF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aren't properties supposed to offer you an alternative amenity if Internet is free to all? Does the same thing apply if it is included in a resort fee?

3. KSU

KSU

Slightly OT: As much as I like Starwood, I thoroughly detest having to pay a resort fee when I stay at a hotel in a tourist area for business (for a convention for instance). This is an extra tax for amenities that surely is part of the basic attractions of a given hotel. As the resort fee (like taxes, but unlike breakfast and internet) is compulsory at a given property, this institutionalizes opaque pricing, and is misleading to the customer. Due to this, I'm giving my business to Hilton (Doubletree) instead of Starwood for an eight night stay in Honolulu on business in May.

4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are supposed to, but they are irregular, variable, and sometimes worthless.

Kaanapali likes this.
  5. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that there shouldn't be any resort fees (not sure what in the world they are really for) but the way Starwood continues to degrade their loyalty program it doesn't surprise me that there isn't an "equivalent" for Platinum members. That is a great idea - substitute something else for the cost of the Internet.

6. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you may get a free coupon for breakfast (for one morning only). Of course if you are on a multi-day stay, this does not really cover the daily resort fee.

One could argue that at Starwood Resorts, being Gold instead of Plat is not that bad. As an SPG Gold you get something for the daily resort fee that you will be charged anyways....regardless of status....while still having a chance (albeit slim) for an upgrade.

7. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just emailed SPG this is issue. Let's hear what they have to say.

8. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think there is a bit discussion going on FT about this. Might be best to check there as it's been ongoing for quite some time.

9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I just looked at the FT forum and it is quite comprehensive.

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it is important to have a self-standing database over here with information.

You are amused in strange and interesting (and apparently) frequent ways :eek: ;)

avflyer likes this.
  11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just heard back from SPG....

They looked at my reservations, and, apparently I only have one reservation where a resort fee is charged, specifically at the Sheraton Keauhou Bay on Big Island.

Here is what they said (redacted a bit):

Thank you for contacting us about the newest Platinum benefit.

I have reviewed your upcoming reservation log in our system and see that you have two upcoming stays in Hawaii, The Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa The Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa is the only hotel you are staying at soon that charges a resort fee. I spoke with Leona at guest services and she verified that they give Platinum members two alternatives upon check in. They allow you to opt out of paying the resort fee or give you complimentary valet parking in lieu of the free Internet that is included with their resort fee.

Please be assured that all Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide that include Internet with their resort or property fees are working on the best possible alternatives for our Platinum members. However, since this benefit has only been offered for almost a year, there are still some changes that need to be made at those hotels to accommodate our Platinum members.

Now, it will be interesting to see if they charge me for SELF PARKING when I opt out of the Resort Fee and yes...Bay Pisco...amusing to see what that charge is....I can't get mad...I'm in Hawaii for crying out loud.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be great if all properties with resort fees were to give Plats the choice of either taking the alternative being offered or opting out of the resort fee (and its additional privileges not covered by SPG Plat benefits).

13. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree 100%. If as Platinum's we get free internet access, then the resort fee should be reduced. Honestly the fee should not exist at all.

i also hate being gouged for sky high parking charges and phone charges. The service fees for calling a 1-800 number make me [​IMG]

BondAir007 likes this.
  14. tigerwong
    Original Member

tigerwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand the parking fees comment since they do seem quite insane at many big city locations, but in today world of cell phones I am just glad hotel rooms still have phones.

15. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point about the cell phones, I guess I am thinking of when after a long day I get back to the room with an almost dead phone, which now is really a mobile computer..Plan "B" room phone to use a calling card.