SPG renovated properties Matress Run?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by perryplatypus, Mar 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never done any Matress running and I thought this new SPG promo would be great to get my feet wet. https://www.starwoodhotels.com/pref...tration/terms_conditions.html?promoID=N4R_FAQ
    I am already a SPG gold member and thought this would be a good way to qualify for Platinium. I can stay at a my local renovated SPG for about $100 taxes included. This would yield me 1000 bonus points, 250 points welcome gold gift, the bonus points for using my SPG Amex and Ofcourse the stay counted toward Platinium. I wanted to know other MP members thoughts on this and from SPG Platiniums if status is worth doing the runs for?

uggboy, KathInJax and WanderLuster like this.
  2. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep an eye out for BRGs too. One of the local Sheraton's is on the list and I often see it for cheaper elsewhere.

In the past I've gotten it for one night at $85. That would yield 1,000 bonus points for this promo, 2,000 bonus points for BRG, elite welcome points (if elite), regular points for stay, points for AmEx. And of course 1 stay and 1 night towards elite benefits. At my standard SPG valuation of $.03 per point -- I'd earn more in points than I paid for the stay.

uggboy, KathInJax and perryplatypus like this.
  3. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip! Do you have a favorite site to use for the comparison pricing?

uggboy, KathInJax and WanderLuster like this.
  4. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually start at Kayak and note all of the SPG, Marriott, and Hyatt properties in the area and their rates at their brand website. Sometimes Kayak will find a lower rate, but not often.

Then I use a variety of other sites to see if I can find anything better. Some of my favorites are: www.hotelscombined.com; www.otel.com; www.galahotels.com; www.olotels.com.

Sometimes I have great luck, sometimes not so much. It just depends.

5. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    They are offering a $79 reopening package at the Dallas Sheraton. I will keep an eye this rate on kayak and see if it drops any lower. Then I can really take advantage of the promo with the BRG bonus too

uggboy and KathInJax like this.
  6. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got approved for a BRG at one of these properties. We also submitted for my parents at the same time. My Mother was also targeted for the Bonus Beginnings promo so she will earn an additional 4,000 points for her stay - pretty good for an $88 room ($119 on SPG)

uggboy and perryplatypus like this.
  7. vgandhi

vgandhi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a newbie what is BRG

8. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    best rate guarantee, many of the hotel chain will offer a best rate if you book with them and then find it somewhere else at a lower price they will typically match the price, give you bonus points, a difference refund check. It just depends on the chain.
    Here is a link to the starwoods BRG page. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/index.html

kadence, uggboy, Dreamworks and 2 others like this.
  9. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    What a great way to cash in!

uggboy, KathInJax and wrxmom like this.
  10. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    We completed our stays this past weekend at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista. My niece and her friend went with us as it was my niece's birthday and they got to play in the pool. We coupled this with the $18 yuupon.com for the Caribe Royale resort that we had purchased on Cyber Monday, so not a bad weekend cost.

All of our points have now posted (Base + BRG + Renovated properties + Bonus Beginnings) - 3,196 for me and 7,216 for my Mother.

11. kadence

kadence Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I had the same question

perryplatypus and KathInJax like this.
  12. kadence

kadence Silver Member

Status Points:
    You get extra points for a BRG?

13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, 2000 points or a 10% discount beyond the match.

14. kadence

kadence Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you opted for points instead of the 10%?

15. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the 10% discount would have been $8.80, we figured 2,000 points were better.

kadence and perryplatypus like this.