SPG Reapplication

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by arshavin, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently closed my SPG account. How soon can I apply again so that I also get SPG bonus points. I have Amex PRG and opened a Delta card with 50 K bonus miles.

uggboy and jwsky like this.
  2. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    The terms say you must wait 12 months. It would be nice to hear from people who have done this.

OFFER TERMS

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months.
    10,000 Starpoints After Your First Purchase To be eligible to earn 10,000 bonus Starpoints, you must make your first purchase with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card within one year of Card approval. Bonus points will appear on your Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8-12 weeks after your first purchase. American Express reserves right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

15,000 Starpoints After You Make $5,000 of Eligible Purchases in the First 6 Months of Card Membership To be eligible to earn 15,000 bonus Starpoints, you must use the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card to complete $5,000 of eligible spending by the end of your first six months of Card Membership, based on the date of your Card approval. Bonus points will appear on your Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8-12 weeks after you reach the spend threshold. American Express reserves right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

Instant AccountIf approved for an instant account number, you will receive a temporary line of credit with a minimum amount of $1,000 for use at Starwood websites. Once you receive and activate your Card, you will have access to your full line of credit for use anywhere the Card is accepted.

Basic Card Annual FeeThe annual fee for the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card will be waived for the first year of Cardmembership. The annual fee will be $65.

arshavin and uggboy like this.
  3. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    One year definitely.

jwsky likes this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have no direct experience, but I'll be going after 366 days in a few weeks.

jwsky likes this.
  5. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can speak from experience. I opened the Amex SPG in July 2010. I received the 30k bonus after 5K spend in 6 months. I closed that account in July 2011. I reopened another Amex SPG account in June 2012. At that time I received the 15K opening bonus (there was another 10K available for reaching a certain spend level that I can't recall at this moment). So...basically it was 11 months from the closure to the reopening of another account and I still came away with 2 account opening bonuses.

6. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the 12 months from the time you apply for the card or from the date you cancel it. ie apply 7/1/2013 and canceled 12/1/2013; could I apply again 71/2014 or 12/1/2014?

sky365 likes this.
  7. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the closure date.

8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife has it one year, and I apply the next, we also have the SPG Business card.

One good thing you can move points to each others account as long as you have the same address, or over 30 days...

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, don't forget that you can also get SPG points for recommending someone else (say your spouse) if you currently have the Amex SPG card and they are approved for that same card. Now of course they'll only get the standard offer, but whenever the offer is just the usual 25,000 or the public and FT offers are the same, this is a fine approach. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do next. For now I've gotten the SPG Bus card for the 2nd time (12 mos after first cancel), and if I do cancel anything it will be the personal. Not sure if I will or not. Given the 5% Open savings on Hyatt stays and the greater difficulty getting approved for the Business version of the card, not sure I'll ever cancel the SPG Business again...

10. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think 1 year wait is true with every AmEx product.

11. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I reapplied after 14 months of closing the card. Got the bonus!

jwsky likes this.
  12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife closed previous SPG card 1/23/2013, applied for new card 1/24/2013 and approved immediately. She just got the first 10,000 SPG points for first use, so certainly looks like she's going to get all 25K points.