SPG reach in "deep" USA.....

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Gaucho, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or perhaps I should say in "small town" USA....?

I realize that Starwood picks its markets with care as they seem to be wanting to be big in the higher-end segment of the business... however, for those of us that need to travel deep into the less large cities of the USA, Starwood is quite hard to find.

As a contrast, Hilton seems to be all over the place.... I have a trip coming up that will take me to Corpus Christy and McAllen (both in TX) and St. Francisville (LA), and will not be able to park at a SPG property.

I wonder why Starwood doesnt see it fit to also have a "economy" brand like Garden Inn.... Hilton does and I would guess they are able to keep that part of their business profitable.... in any event, strictly from a coverage perspective, HHonors seems to be a lot better on the map than Starwood.... or is there something Im missing...?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always wondered this also. It seems you need a backup chain for the less populated areas as a SPGer.

_kurt, flyingdawg and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed.... so maybe I need to revive my HHonors account....??? Or can I book this Hilton stay to one of my ffp's...?

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Try Baton Rouge, too. There are discount SPG brands - think Four Points. As-is, though, this is one of the reasons why I keep my HHonors status as Diamond every year (in addition to Plat75 with SPG).

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both SPG and HH complement each other so one has to utilize them both to provide the required coverage.

SPG has much more top end properties worldwide..

HH has ony one property in Argentina, two in Brasil, three in Peru and only just opened it first Chilean hotel in Santiago.

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've wondered also why the Four Points flag is not expanded into smaller markets. If excuted properly Four Points would be an excellent alternate to Hilton Garden and Mariott Courtyard. I wonder if there is some reluctance with hotel operaters/management companies not to develop Four Points properties?

Gaucho and edekba like this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sense is that SPG is a more expensive program to be associated with, and especially in many tertiary markets, it just may not make sense, as the revenue isn't going to justify the program. I have no inside knowledge of anything.

Gaucho and flyingdawg like this.
  8. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may be correct. But in the case of Hyatt Place and Four Points, it seems that by increasing thier presence and achieving a critical mass of properites, they would be able to drive down cost. I certianly will welcome the day when I can check-in to a SPG property in Little Rock, Bowling Green, Brunswick, Boise, ect.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the past year, I've been able to stay at spg properties in more than one market where I hadn't Ben able to a year or two ago, and seen announcements for new properties at other locations where I'd previously been stymied. Coverage is growing, although nowhere near Hilton's level. I would imagine that properties might profitably pay more of a premium to affilliate with a well established but not saturated brand name.

flyingdawg and Gaucho like this.
  10. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember there was a time where for years Marriott Rewards members could not earn points at Fairfield Inns. For me, that was even worse than not having a property in a smaller market.

I am glad that has changed...

miles and smiles and flyingdawg like this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know..... I hope the step on the gas and expand more quickly....

mattsteg and flyingdawg like this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly !!!

Counsellor and flyingdawg like this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked the list, and there's a Four Points set to open in Kelowna, BC Canada - last time I was there was my only IHG stay of 2012! Future expansion does seem to be hitting a number of places I've stayed somewhat recently - Kelowna, Manhattan Kansas, Louisville, etc. as well as already coming available in others like college station.

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4054558.html - significant growth.

flyingdawg likes this.
  14. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You travel too much Mike...oh wait, that would be an oxymoron. :)

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hah! FWIW, I keep my Diamond status based on spend... and we have an HGVC timeshare. SPG I earn in beds that are not mine.

flyingdawg likes this.
  16. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    One reason I don't have any status with SPG is their relatively smaller footprint, US and internationally, compared to some of the other programs. If you travel to the largest cities they're fine but then it starts to into get slimmer pickings. In some countries theyr'e well represented but have no properties in New Zealand, for example, and outside of London not much to choose from in the UK.

But at least they seem to be expanding somewhat. I agree with others that I'm surprised the Four Points hasn't spread out more.

Gaucho and flyingdawg like this.
  17. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG do not operate many hotels in the UK, but they are generally regarded as a high branded product.

flyingdawg likes this.
  18. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    High brand is nice..... premium segment is fine... but your footprint has to be relevant. IMHO, Starwood needs to work on its footprint... pronto.

Flying Bat and flyingdawg like this.
  19. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Off to BKK.
    Anyone recently visited the Royal Orchid Sheraton?