SPG PLT Pre-Upgrades

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by edekba, Apr 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've read a few threads here & on FT about being "pre-upgraded" to a different room.

How does that happen? How far out? I've been PLT since Nov and had 5 stays/12 nights till now and none were "pre" upgraded. I do have 10 nights / 6 stays coming up in 2 weeks ... so I was wondering.

dc_traveler and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you can see it in your reservation - I typically only see it when I've applied a Suite Night certificate.

dc_traveler, marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhso they arent the PLT upgrades that are preupgraded. got it

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen it in some my reservations. Usually comes up as second reservation for the same stay. I once called and was told not worry - I did not have 2 rooms, just one with an upgrade.

edekba and marcwint55 like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it does happen for plat upgrades and this SPG feature has been occuring for quite a few years ( even before the Suite nite thingy was instituted ) but the upgrade is often not usually visble until a few days before checkin or you may get an e-mail saying that they are unable to upgrade ( although I havent got one of these e-mails recently)

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always call the hotel in advance and talk to the manager or the front desk manager to ask for a complimentary upgrade. 90% of the time I have been given a confirmed one in advance. Last weekend in Vancouver I was given a two bedroom suite instead of the single room that I had booked and did not have to use one of my suite upgrades.

dc_traveler, MX and canucklehead like this.
  7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, other than very special trips with my +1, the time taken even placing that call would cost me more than the upgrade would be worth.

Guess it just goes to show the different priorities we all have in our travel.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd guess that I see a pre-upgrade about half of the time if I check my confirmation online. Usually it doesn't appear until the night before my scheduled arrival and sometimes not before late morning or around noon of my arrival day. OTOH, I've had a few appear a few days or even weeks in advance. I've also had these upgrades canceled before I arrive.

marcwint55, dc_traveler and edekba like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even when I am traveling alone, I do not like to be in anything less than a suite, so we do all have different priorities in our travels.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whereas I wish I were in a room long enough to see anything other than the bed, toilet and shower. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    presently at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island. The hotel has three weddings and an engagement party, but they still managed to get me a nice corner suite.

edekba likes this.