SPG Plats: Always call the Plat Concierge Line before reserving :)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by carsonheim, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to share a wonderful experience I just had with the Plat line.

I am attending a conference later this week, and booked in the room block. I went online to look at current rates and found the prepaid rate was $25 less than the conference rate. AND, the conference rate was only good for the first two days of my stay, the 3rd and 4th night would be $20 and $40 more, respectively. So the conference rate would end up costing me approximately $160 MORE. Hmmph!

I noticed that the cancel window for my conference rate passed on Monday (eek!) and that my one-night deposit would not be refunded after then. Soooo, I called to see if there was a way to keep only the first night of the conference (with the deposit applied) and change the remaining three nights to the prepaid rate.

The Plat concierge was AMAZING! She was able to accomodate my request, and do me one better. Instead of the additional three nights at the prepaid rate, she found a separate prepaid rate that gave a third night free. It was $20 more for the first two nights, but the third night was $0.

Sooooo, after calling and having her redo my reservation, I am saving over $200 on this stay!

Thanks, SPG, for a great experience with the plat concierge!

2. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice, positive story!

travelingmore likes this.
  3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'd also recommend you check the SPG website for the latest promotions as well to ensure you are getting the best value for money.

Punki likes this.
  4. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely!

I always check the SPG website and then check every category for which I qualify and have on occasion found up to a 50% discount by going with a senior rate, an AA rate, my client's corporate rate, or a special weekend rate.

We were once doing an install in the ATL convention center for a very large airplane manufacturer. The original install dates were Saturday and Sunday. At the last minute, the client changed the dates to Sunday and Monday which bumped our hotel rate from $150 per night to $345 per night. [​IMG] When I called the SPG Platinum concierge and gave them the client's corporate SET number, the rate went back down to $149 a night. Whew! [​IMG]

Another time in BOS when we were going to see our sweet daughter perform at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, we were able to get a senior rate which was exactly half of the lowest rate shown on the SPG site. :) How cool was that? You just never know, so it is worth the extra few seconds it takes to check it out.

5. DrG
    Original Member

DrG Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of my encounters with SPG customer service to date have been exceptional. It makes me with I stayed there more. However, when my travel increases at some point in the future, I look forward to giving them more of my business.

Quality customer service matters.

ariyo15 likes this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a recently minted status match Plat., I haven't had the chance to use them much, but when I have, they've saved me time and money. And, I asked them if it helped them if we booked through them, and the last couple made it clear that they didn't receive any commission, but that there was some accounting -- some stats or something -- kept which helped them if we book through them, so I have been trying to. On occasion, I've booked online just to get it done, then taken my time and called them later to see if they can do better, and they have sometimes been able to. In one case, they found a cancellable rate with breakfast which was the same price as I was able to see only for a non-refundable one without. Kudos.

7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a bonus, you now also have an "eligible rate" that will earn Starpoints and SPG stay/night credit. Many conference rates are not eligible rates for SPG credit. You might not get SPG credit for your night on the conference rate.

8. ariyo15
    Original Member

ariyo15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If every hotel chain/credit card company/etc... have the types of customer service that SPG does, this world be a great(er) place!

9. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's something that varies between housing coordinators and hotel chains. So far I've had several conferences with both Marriott and Hilton chains and all offered credit/points. One time a corporate rate (reserved by them) didn't get me points, whilst it was more expensive then the AAA rate at the Westin Ottawa...