SPG Philadelphia hotels: Sheraton CIty Center or 4 points sheraton City center?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cotter77, Oct 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    very close location of the 2 hotels
    same price....any recs?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sheraton City Center is not one of the better Sheratons. It tends to be filled by large conventions. If you are part of one of these and the group is staying at the Sheraton or it is the headquarters hotel, stay there. Otherwise, I would avoid this property. I don't know the Four Points or its location, but you should be aware that in Philadelphia, a few blocks can make an enormous difference in the neighborhood.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Four Points is on 12th Street, in the back of the Convention Center, opposite from the Reading Terminal Market.

It's just as far from the highway and if anything I'd expect it to be busier/noisier than the one on 17th, but I've personally never stayed there.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then they're not really "very close."

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in the least, but on a nice day you can certainly walk it.

But if I had to choose I'd go for the Four Points, mostly because the area is nicer. And because I've stayed at the other one and hated it. :)

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your hatred for the Sheraton, but I'd try to stay closer to Rittenhouse Square. If it were a purely leisure trip and not a summer weekend, I'd also consider Society Hill, but there aren't many hotels there except for the Sheraton Society Hill which seems pretty nice. More generally, if the goal is a SPG property, the OP should investigate other choices, which seem to all be in essentially the same price range, depending very much on local events and availability on particular nights. There's a Westin and a LM which are also within walking distance and would be much much much nicer, perhaps for approximately the same price.

viguera likes this.
  8. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    stayed fri at the sheraton
    location not the best. walked 1.3 miles to dinner at Chifa near morimoto on chestnut
    overall the hotel is well worn, a little on the frumpy side
    but works just fine for me esp withe gold upgrade to a suite. views nice
    i chose sheraton over four points for the gym and pool
    pool was small but worked for some short laps and stretching out. gym was a beat down old YMCA gym but it had what you needed in terms of cardio stuff and enough dumbdells and stuff with TVs on the walls.
    looked like they were gearing up for some major renovations to improve the gym and pool so next year it should b pretty nice down there.