SPG New Suite Nights for Platinums

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by theskyflyer, Jan 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else heard about the new Platinum benefit - 10 night Suite upgrade certificates that are confirmed prior to check-in?

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Platinum Preferred Guest members who stay 50 nights annually receive 10 Suite Night Awards.

Doesn't look like stays will go into. Must be 50 nights a year in order to get these!

3. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    So SPG is basically adding another elite tier which has long been rumored. Guess I can can kiss suite upgrades goodbye as a lowly plat. They've been pretty tough to come by anyway.

MSPeconomist, jbcarioca and Toula like this.
  4. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will be interesting to see what they do for this year. They should be available for all Platinums in 2012 if they launch with this, not just those with 50 nights. Platinums earning their status for 2012 last year weren't aware of the 50 night criteria, so it would be rather harsh to exclude a group based upon something they couldn't have forseen or planned for.

5. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    That has to be a copy omission. I doubt SPG would segment Platinums for an additional benefit.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, if I could get on the SPG site, I might be able to get more info.

YULtide, jbcarioca and garyst16 like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's been a discussion of this all day on TOBB, including a cut and paste of the T&C that apparently appeared briefly on SPG.com.

globalexplorer, jbcarioca and avflyer like this.
  8. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I suspect all will be revealed in the coming days then!

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    William the Champion will be out of the office for another week, IIRC until Monday February 6 was what he announced in the thread.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be curious to see if this really happens. I certainly qualify since I has 86 nights last year but i have heard nothing other than in TOBB and here.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any news? I'm thinking about canceling two Starwood reservations for next week if my 2012 benefits are downgraded. In both cases, there's a very convenient Hyatt property available for a comparable or slightly better rate.

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would certainly be a disappointing and potentially alienating to segment plats after-the-fact in such an obvious and meaningful way. If it's to start next year, then this is absolutely the right time to announce it, and maybe offer up all plats a taste.

MSPeconomist and flyingdawg like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could also understand a decision to, for example, give two confirmed suite night certs to every Plat for every ten nights. That would seem fair, even if started immediately, although it would seem more profitable for Starwood if only nights after the announcement counted for this.

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagine we'll know tomorrow in any case.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's already tomorrow somewhere, in fact in much of the world.

mattsteg and flyingdawg like this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over on TOBB, an Asian Plat got some details already from his Ambassador.

It is 10 suite nights for anyone who earned 50 night credits last year. I am annoyed at having the rug pulled out from under me at this time of year for future suite upgrades.

17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I hit it last year, am going to be on 13 or 14 nights for the year this year after this week (depends on how Friday goes), and so am fine with this.

Also already got a nice upgrade at the Westin MCO and a nice one this week at the Westin PHX. So the basic plat upgrade is not dead yet.

I just hope they find a way to make this doable online. The one thing that drives me crazy about Hyatt is that I have to call in to use the suite upgrade. Then I often have to wait while the GP rep calls the hotel.

Online is good and I'll be much happier if this doesn't take 10 or 15 minutes out of my life to use.

18. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Changes afoot?......

from tomorrow's WSJ:
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. is expanding the benefits it offers its most-frequent customers, part of a continuing race by the world's largest hotel brand companies to generate more business from recurring patrons.
    Starwood on Wednesday is enhancing its loyalty program by adding features for frequent travelers, such as rolling 24-hour check-in and check-out times and personal travel assistants, dubbed "ambassadors," company executives said.....
    The use of the perks will be determined by the frequency of stays, with customers who spend 100 nights a year at Starwood properties qualifying for the highest level of service. Starwood, which owns nine hotel brands including Westin, W and Sheraton, declined to say how many customers stay at its hotels 100 nights or more per year but said the number is "in the low tens of thousands." (emphasis mine)

Full article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203920204577195342790168920.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a pretty rotten way to roll out the program, although I guess it tends to reward "true" loyalty.

Better than Delta throwing targeted skypesos at mid-tier elites and ignoring diamonds last year, I guess.

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I largely disagree. Having more lower level elites, PM, GM and even FO, hasn't seemed to change my access for free domestic FC upgrades at all, as it basically should not very much according to the program rules since only lower level elites on full Y fares get priority over me as a DM for my upgrades. There's also enhanced availability for domestic coach awards, which get free upgrades for me just after all DMs, not including companions, on tickets paid with money. Where the excess DL miles should hurt is on international award tickets, but maybe the BE availability is so bad that it's hard to notice it getting worse.

mattsteg likes this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far, Ambassador service has been by invitation. It's not clear to me whether one needs to have a property put your name on some list for consideration, as is the case for Plat Plus at Marriott, or whether there's a secret formula based on revenue. my guess is the latter.

23. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it was more the symbolism of delta throwing up to 100k skymile bonuses at targeted golds who made diamond, while not offering anything extra to diamonds, that annoyed some people. Some BIS Plats and Golds hated the targeted "fly x flights, get early gold/plat" promos as well. I don't know that there would be a tangible difference in i.e. availability, just sensitive people feeling hurt. Maybe some more crowding in skyclubs.

I was right in the middle of the benefiting, targeted class (got plat a whole 1 flight early with the early plat promo, and collected a 50k skymile bounty in doing so), so personally I did fine. The promos did not change my behavior and cost Delta a fair bit to provide. Seeing that they tend to target people lower than where I am at now in their heirarchy with lucrative promotions does not provide any lasting incentive for loyalty.

A nice bonus to upper-tier folk, even if I didn't get it, would provide a bit more incentive for future business. Here at least starwood is trying to reward their top customers, even if the surprise rollout and accounting mean some people who stayed 40+ nights in expensive properties likely get the short end of it.

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somehow I didn't find the DL promos to be a big deal, although a shortcut to DM for a few flights might have been, as would DL announcing this week that they now have a superDM level that will get their free upgrades, especially on long flights, before anyone who is regular DM has a chance.

I think it's underhanded to introduce a new stealth supertop tier at this time of year without prorating the benefits to those who easily would have qualified if they had known about this plan. This implementation seems to diminish rather than increase loyalty.

25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having now seen the details of the promotion- it looks brilliant from eyes- a good balance and a way to get a suite when one is really needed. Good ideas SPG.

Toula likes this.