SPG in Waikiki - Destination Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SC Flier, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starwood has 4 hotels in Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii.

While each hotel may have a Master Thread, there are some points which are best shared in a single thread. A common question may be, "Which SPG property should I select in Waikiki?"

This Destination Thread is to discuss the different SPG hotel options in Waikiki as well as to offer recommendations for transportation, restaurants, and activities.

Master Threads for individual hotel discussion:
    Royal Hawaiian
    Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort
    Sheraton Waikiki - Master Thread (Coming soon?)
    Four Points Princess Kaiulani - Master Thread (Coming soon?)

Aerial view of the properties from Google Earth:
    [​IMG]

2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sheraton Waikiki has an infinity pool :)
    [​IMG]

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. @ Sheraton Princess. Absolute Shithole.
    No Plat recognition, no upgrade, crappy room from 1970's
    The NOISE from the house band at the pool is obscene considering I'm on the 25th floor.
    When you walk in the lobby, it's dirty and smells.

After the Sheraton Waikiki, which I thought was only 7.5/10 this place is a 4.0
    Likely the WORST Sheraton I have ever stayed at.
    We're off the Moana Surf. next and looking forward to it. Taking the night here was a mistake.
    I've been to nicer prisons.

4. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at 3 of the four. Princess K only when I was using points across the street at the Moana and needed an extra night at the beginning. For like 80 bucks it gave me what I needed, but I wouldn't stay any longer. The Moana is a great mix of chill and slightly upscale though the beachfront and pool are very small. The Royal is very nice inside with a nicer pool and beach along with the quiet calm of people paying rates in the higher ranks. Never stayed at the Sheraton but it's a typical very large Sheraton - IMHO the choice for you if you want SPG in Waikiki but don't want to shell out for the others and/or want a more kid friendly atmosphere. No real difference in location, they are all within a 10 minute walk of each other, per the map SC Flier posted above, very cool idea BTW.

SC Flier and MSPeconomist like this.
  5. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I miss the W. Great location b/c it was close to Waikiki yet in a quiet neighborhood.

6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Royal Hawaiian will be great for free resort nights! Sheraton Waikiki is also a very nice hotel with a great pool.

7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the transportation options to/from the SPGs? I took UA up on it's offer to give me a real cheap flight to HNL in Oct ;) and was wondering how one gets around - rental car? taxi? public transportation? I guess I can even narrow this down since I will only be in HNL for 2 days; to/from HNL and to/from Pearl Harbor. Suggestions?

Thanks

8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to rent a car -- especially if planning to tour around a bit. There are shuttle buses that can take you to the hotels, but you may have to wait for them to fill up, and then most make multiple stops.

Parking is included in the resort fees at the SPG hotels there.

9. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    For only two days if you don't want to cram like crazy, the public bus, walking and taxis would be fine. In addition, the free Hilo Hattie shuttle takes you most of the way downtown. The only caveat is if you are hankering to visit the north shore to see the waves then you really need a car.