SPG credit card bonus points

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by FrequentMiler, Sep 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    After reaching the required $4500 spend, I paid off my SPG card early and was immediately credited with the 20,000 bonus points! Woo hoo!

2. TravelFreeFaster

TravelFreeFaster Active Member

Status Points:
    I took at similiar approach with my Chase Sapphire Preferred - hit the minimum right away, paid it off and called customer service and was given my points within a couple of weeks of applying for the card.

3. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know that it works for Chase too! I'm tempted to do the same with my Sapphire, but I'm trying to hold to my current card spending strategy as closely as possible:
    1. Use Chase Sapphire any time I can get double (or better) points: restaurants, travel, shopping via their portal, etc. And for foreign transactions.
    2. Use my second SPG card for most other purchases (unless the vendor doesn't take Amex).
    3. Use my Delta Platinum card for Delta purchases, Amex gift card purchases (via Big Crumbs, of course), and Kiva loans in order to get to the next threshold for the MQM bonus.
    4. Use my FlexPerks card for groceries (2x) and charitable donations (3x). FlexPerks can be worth up to 2 cents each (more likely 1.5 cents each, though) when used for travel.

nime01 and miles and smiles like this.