SPG AmEx vs Marriott Rewards Visa Premier vs MR Premier Plus, pending August 2018 changes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Andrew M, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Andrew M

Andrew M Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello!

First, my apologies if there's already a thread post regarding this topic. I used the search tool but couldn't find the information I was looking for, so I created this thread.

I currently subscribe to both the SPG AmEx and the Marriott Rewards Visa Premier credit cards. I use the Marriott Visa for restaurants and travel, the SPG AmEx for everything else. August 2018 changes show that the SPG AmEx will have identical benefits to the Marriott Premier Plus, with the regular Premier slightly worse. See below for the pages I used to compare:

credit-cards.marriott. com/en-us/starwood-preferred-guest-us/?EM=VTY_CCMarriott_US_SPG_EN
    credit-cards.marriott. com/en-us/marriott-rewards-us/?EM=VTY_CCMarriott_US_MAR_EN

I've removed the "http" portion of the URL because I am too new to add proper web links. Sorry about that. I've also added a space so that InsideFlyer won't see the links.

Finally, the Boingo Hotspot perk only appears for the SPG AmEx.

I am leaning towards cancelling my Marriott Rewards Visa Premier in August, and keeping only the SPG AmEx in August 2018. What does the people of InsideFlyer think? Does this seem like an agreeable path? Am I missing out on anything by ditching the Marriott cards?

Thank you all.

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure, but I think if you keep both cards you'll get two free nights annually (one on renewing the MR VISA and one when renewing the AMEX).

You're right (so far as I can see) that both will have the same benefits and thus be duplicative. There is some speculation that Marriott is doing this on purpose to drive the AMEX card out of the market

Andrew M and SF-CSH like this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only the free night would be a reason to keep both. Otherwise, your spending patterns will determine which will get one more points.

Sent from my SM-G955U using InsideFlyer mobile app

Andrew M and SF-CSH like this.
  4. zebraitis

zebraitis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled my SPG Amex. But my own situation had much to do with it.

I looked at the benefits that would happen with the merged program:

1) I'm already a lifetime Marriott Platinum, so the silver status doesn't matter.
    2) You can only get a 15 night bump ONCE even if you have both cards.
    3) The free nights didn't matter to me, as I have too many nights and points as it is.
    4) I have an AmEx Platinum that gets me lots of benefits, so that fills my AmEx slot.

So, I have to Am Air cards (Barclay Silver and Citi - to get me to Exec Plat status faster - both MasterCard), the Marriott Rewards card (because it's a Visa), And the new Hilton Honors American Express Aspire (So that I get Diamond status immediately)

For me, it was an easy decision... and when I called to cancel, they didn't even offer a deal to try to retain me. So: gone.

Andrew M and shotbuc like this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how having two AA credit cards "gets you to Exec Plat status faster". Since about ten year ago miles not earned from flying no longer count for status so far as I know.

newbluesea likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides at no stage of the AA program did credit cards contribute anything towards EXP status.

7. zebraitis

zebraitis Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to read the fine print, and play the game with the new rules. :cool:

The Barclaycard Aviator Silver, at $50K spend, gets you 6,000 EQD and 10,000 EQM

The Citi AAdvantage at $40K spend get you 10,000 EQM

So, FOR ME, leveraging these two cards, to get Exec Plat means that need to spend $6000 EQD on tickets and fly 80,000 EQM. As a domestic flier that brings it into an attainable number.

The regular FF miles I earn from the spend are just gravy. And considering how flight miles are calculated now, I'm definitely getting more FF from credit card spend than the actual flights themselves.

Still, I have to be on flights to make it happen. Do a search for 2017 Mileage Marathon to see how I did it last year, or track me on the 2018 Mileage Marathon as well. :D

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Counsellor likes this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the explanation, zebraitis. Good planning!

9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Office Depot will take your Barclay Card, or Citi, for a little MS, goid till the 15th,

Staples was last week, 60 cents gets a MO and the cash is back in the bank.

Between Simon Malls and the Office Suppoe Houses, this is easy money,

Lifetime is good, doubt I will ever see Ex Plat, time passed many years ago..