SPG Amex Personal & Business

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by jkchan83, Jul 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know if this was more appropriate in the Starwood forum or the credit card forum. Sorry if misplaced.

I would like to apply for both the personal and business SPG Amex cards this year. Should I apply for both at the same time (via the 2-browser trick or sequentially) or should I apply for each one 30 or (60 or 90) days apart?

Thanks in advance.

MX likes this.
  2. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ended up deciding to wait a bit between applications. While I am confident that I could meet the spending requirements on both cards at the same time, I prefer to have a little bit of safety. I applied online for the Business card and was instantly approved. I will meet the minimum spend on that card before applying for the personal card.

With an extra 4 stays on my account (from both cards), I should be able to hit at least Gold status this year. (I just switched to SPG with my July 4 Staycation.) I admit, this wasn't the best planning on my part. But, let's see where we end up...

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scottrick likes this.
  4. K F

K F Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied and was approved for both on the same day as well as quite a few people. The only reason I wouldn't is if the spending bonus was too high to reach, but there are many ways to reach these limits easily these days so it's up to you. Also, since you just applied and the bonus has increased, you could write and/or call to see if Amex would bump the bonus. This is a YMMV, but I just negotiated an 8k SPG bonus just to keep the card so nothing is impossible!

5. K F

K F Silver Member

Status Points:
    And just to let you know, now that you have an Amex SPG card, you're a "preferred plus" member, which is one step below gold and one step above preferred. You have all the same benefits as gold except for the 50% bonus on points so make sure you get your late check-out and upgrades when available.

Scottrick likes this.
  6. chinesescouser

chinesescouser Active Member

Status Points:
    So I have an existing SPG Amex account opened for 2 years now. I've read that if you have an existing account you have to close it and wait 365 days before you can reapply or else you won't get the full 30K point promo. Is this true? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.