SPG Amex - Annual Fee for 3,000 points

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by onlybeef42, May 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new $65 annual fee hit my account marking the start of year two with my SPG Amex. I figure it couldn't hurt to call and see if I could get anything from customer service as a result of same (saw this tip elsewhere).

When I asked to have the annual fee waived for a second year, I was rejected and told by the customer service rep that he has the same card and cannot get his fee waived either. :mad:

When I asked if the rep could make the annual fee hurt a little less, he said he may be able to do something and went through my account and usage history. He said I qualified for the max points gift and credited me with 3,000 points. :D

Took less than 5 minutes, and at $.01-$.04 per point the call was worth $30-$120. Guess my annual fee was taken care of. :cool:

2. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats great! I have had similiar results with some other cards. Would you mind giving us some idea how much you use the card?

miles and smiles and sdcarver like this.
  3. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information OP, if you know what might have triggered the max points gift let us know... :)

sdcarver

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have read before that 3000 points is SPG's standard response from their retention department. Of course, your points may vary depending on how long you've been a customer, how much you use the card, etc.

5. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The card was my main card last year and I did qualify for the auto Gold.

I simply asked first if he could waive the fee and was rejected, but then literally asked the CSR could do to make that annual fee "sting" less. He said let me see what I can do, clicked away, and offered 3,000 points.

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. SPG Amex is the one card I never even thought twice about paying the annual fee. So even THEY have some wiggle room huh? Great to hear....

7. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a related note, a couple years ago I ended up with a second Amex Platinium card when I signed up for an Aeroplan card. When I called to cancel my original Platium card, they put me on hold and a "manager" came back on with an offer to waive the fees (something like $500-$600) for the original if I kept both. I said that's fine for this year, but what about next? He said he'd have them waived permanently. So now I have all the benefits of both while only paying for one.

I also have the SPG Amex, which I use for one of my businesses. Even though it's a credit card, not a charge card like the Platinum cards, I am thinking I may call to see if I can get the fees permanently waived on that one too. The information on this thread may be helpful to me in making my case, so thanks!

Cheers,

onlybeef42 likes this.
  8. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is awesome about the permanent waiver. I have never heard about that. May I ask approximately how much you were spending?
    Also, please let me know what the SPG card says when you ask.

9. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Between the two cards, I'd guess it was in the range of $2500-$4000 monthly... Not huge, but I've been with them forever.

Cheers,

10. Just signed up for milepoint yesterday, found this thread and called SPG Amex this morning. I didn't demand points, but I noted that I'd been a member for several years, racked up tons of charges/points (enough to spend 8 full days at Le Meridien Piccadilly in London last month), and noticed my annual fee jumped $20. Took about 10 minutes, but was offered the 3k points. I can't thank the OP and others enough for this post--would have never thought to call and never gotten 3k points towards attempting to get back to Le Meridien early 2012.

11. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the club, and please poke around there is so much great information on this site.

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, and here's is your first like. :)

13. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great idea, thank you for this suggestion. In my experience, AMEX is very generous with dishing out pionts and/or miles if you been a long term customer with them, they recognize that and try to please you.

14. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    question: is this something - the 3k points - that I can request through my plt reservation consultant?

15. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to call Amex not SPG.

16. Random follow-up question: for those who have received points in the past, how long did it take to post to your account? I could've sworn the agent said it might take 2-3 days to show, but it's been 10 days now and I haven't seen the 3k hit my account. I feel stupid to call back about points that I technically didn't "earn" so am hoping it actually hits my account at some point.

17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Any success getting a retention bonus through the website's email customer service rather than calling? I've been putting at least six figures on the card each year and have had the card for 10 years and don't remember the last time I've gotten a bonus of any kind... probably 5 years at least.

18. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes these happen within a couple of days - they seem to be able to push them through. But normal processing can take two weeks easily, sometimes three.

19. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My points took about a week to post.

20. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe my points posted when the statement closed - I used the secure message center to request fee waiver or additional points - so the only time I spent was composing the email - bam 3k points for the annual fee

21. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    She told me "two to three weeks".

22. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I just tried on my SPG business card. No dice. I didn't really push that hard - just complained about the fee increase a bit. He offered to switch me to a business Blue card (not sure what that is, but I'm guessing I don't want it).

So I'm not sure if this game is over or if I just didn't push hard enough. I might call back in a few weeks.

23. Another follow-up: my card's cycle ended on the 3rd. A few days later, the points posted to my account. They were labeled as "Goodwill from AMEX."

24. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just tried today and struck out :(

25. osiriuso

osiriuso Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys, I read all about Starwood not budging on the annual fee, but I have a positive data point for everyone!

I secure messaged AMEX about the $65 fee I was charged on my last statement and here was the response:

Because you are a valued Cardmember. Therefore, as a gesture of respect to your relationship with American Express and our commitment for impeccable customer service, I have credited your Card account in the amount of $65.00.

This credit will appear on an upcoming statement.

Never hurts to try! :cool: