SPG/AMEX 30000 Point Promotion --- Amex Refused to Honor It After Money Spent

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by volsfan, Dec 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    During the period that Amex was offering 30000 SPG points, I signed up for this promotion online. A week or so later, I signed my wife up as well. The deal was, you get 10000 points after the first purchase, then an additional 20000 after spending $5000 within either 5 or 6 months. In both applications, I pulled up the promotion and was able to apply and cards were sent by Amex. My wife met the $5000 threshold first--no problem, she got the extra 20000 points. A few weeks later, I met the threshold--and then, nothing. I called Amex representative and they first told me that I had signed up for a 10000 point promotion--I told the rep that she was wrong. She sent a "ticket" in and told me that I would be contacted 24-72 hours. On the third day (perhaps not quite to the 72nd hour) I called them. The first person I spoke with told me nothing more than what I had heard during the previous call--I asked for a supervisor. I relayed the situation to the supervisor, and she put me on hold for about 5 minutes. She came back on the line and told me that I was not qualified for the offer, but that my wife was. This is incredible to me. First of all, if I were not qualified for the offer, why did it give me an application with no indication of nonqualification? To me, this is genuinely a situation where I met the terms of the offer, but American Express was not willing to meet their end of the deal. Perhaps it was a mistake, but I closed out my account at the end of the conversation.

KathInJax and MX like this.
  2. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are multiple threads about this happening. AMEX changed T&C to state that current AMEX card holders might not be eligible. Do you have another AMEX?

While this is frustrating, you could have still called the executive offices to try and get the spend bonus posted.

volsfan and MX like this.
  3. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I do--I think my basic point is that they should not be able to change the terms after the fact. If I had not been qualified at the time of the application, why did they not say so? Why do I have to spend the threshold amount and then find out?

KathInJax likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen other threads, so could you please clarify: did you mean holders of any AmEx cards or the same type, i.e. SPG?
    I understood earlier that people who had an identical account open at any time during the preceeding year would not get a repeat bonus. In other words, one had to be without an SPG account for >12 months to qualify for a signup bonus.

KathInJax likes this.
  5. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, for clarity's sake, my other account was a Hilton Hhonors Amex--I have never had a SPG Amex before this one.

KathInJax likes this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    You didn't have to spend the money to find out, you could have (and should have) read the T&C. :rolleyes:

KathInJax likes this.
  7. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, for those of us who do not have those terms in front of us, what were the terms and conditions of this offer? Frankly, I thought I had read them, and I certainly thought I was eligible.

KathInJax likes this.
  8. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the new terminology states that holders if any AMEX card MAY not be eligible. I believe that the new language was added in May of this year.

I was actually researching this topic earlier today and that is when the discussions seemed to first appear. There was a thread here on MP and there was discussion in the SPG AMEX master thread on FT.

From what I understand, it should show you what bonus you are eligible for when doing the application.

If it did not alert you that you were not eligible for the bonus, then it should be escalated. Call or write the executive office and see if they can solve the issue.

When I get to a computer I will see if I can find the threads for you.

volsfan and MX like this.
  9. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually started a thread myself about this very issue, although it was about my experience with the AMEX PRG card. I clicked on a link for 25k bonus points after spending $2,000, application was approved, met the spend threshold, but did not get the bonus points. After discussions with multiple CSRs, I was finally told it was because of having another unrelated AMEX card, thus I was not eligible for the bonus. AMEX wouldn't budge, and refused to give me the points. Was also never told which card made me ineligible.

At the time, the other cards I had were the Hilton AMEX (which I have had for 13 years) and the Delta card (which I had just gotten in February 2013). Oddly enough, I applied for the SPG AMEX this past September, met the spend, and received the 30k bonus points.

volsfan, MX and KathInJax like this.
  10. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here are a couple of threads: Denro's thread- http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/amex-premier-rewards-gold-wont-award-welcome-bonus.69872/ http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/amex-changing-churn-rules.70266/ Discussion of current Amex holder and what offer is available: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/spg-targeted-offer-go-for-it.73151/

And some from FT:

SPG AMEX thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...1-spg-american-express-master-thread-134.html

Changes to the T&C - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-changes-amex-bonus-terms-personal-cards.html

Now, the question is what to do on your card. You already cancelled it. I think that your only choice at this point is to call the Executive office and explain what happened and to see if they would award the bonus if you reinstated the card.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    volsfan, MX and Denro like this.
  11. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all who have responded to this thread. It has been very helpful!

12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've taken to confirming the bonus offer via SM immediately after getting online with the card and before I put any spend on it. In a couple of cases I've been able to reference previous conversations indicating I was eligible to convince them to grant me the bonus which they otherwise would not have. You'll still waste a pull if they say no, but you don't have to put any spend on the card. Also of course you should be keeping screenshots of all the pages of the application process, the T&C's etc on every card you apply for. Sorry, tis the cost of playing this game.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I specifically called in to ask a CSR about this because the terms and conditions state that you "may not" be eligible if you hold an AmEx currently. IDK what kind of legal B$ that is, or how it'd stand up in court, but the CSR on the phone confirmed that the terms only excluded previous SPG cardholders and that I was eligible. I haven't met my spend requirement yet, so I can't say for sure that it worked for me. I did have an AmEx Zync card and Delta Skymiles Gold card at the time I applied in early November.

Reading the terms of a few AmEx cards today, it looks like the charge card (Zync, Gold, Platinum, etc.) cardholders are being blocked from getting the sign-up bonuses on other charge cards. I get the feeling AmEx is either doing an experiment, or is more restricted in how they can modify the terms on their partners' co-brand cards. Stories like yours, @volsfan, suggest that AmEx wants to expand the program to their entire lineup, and that perhaps a few people are getting confused in the transition.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  14. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure it'd stand up in court. AmEx isn't dumb, and you'd think they'd have lawyers go over this stuff before it goes out.

I think they're trying to stop people from churning their cards, which I have no problem with. They want you to keep your card long-term, not keep signing up for miles/points, cancelling when the annual fee comes due, and then doing it all over again.