SPG @ Airport Lounges

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Flews, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're off to Israel.

On our last few trips, we've noticed there is a Starwood Preferred Guest "conference room" in the AC/*Alliance International Lounge at Pearson Airport in Toronto. It's almost always empty and we've started using it when the lounge gets busy.

We've also found it to be a great place to hang out with our kids, since it has a glass door and therefore contains the little ankle-biters from tormenting others in the lounge.

Just wondering if such SPG rooms exists in other airport lounges? There's not table, just seating that seems to be identical to that outside the room. Nor is there any indication as to how to "book it" for a meeting, or whether it is restricted to SPG members/elites or whatever. Just a nice sign stenciled on the door.

Perhaps it's just branding or sponsorship? Either way, the signage seems to keep everyone else out. So Mrs. Flews and I have a nice, comfortable and quiet room all to ourselves right now!

Cheers,

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never noticed an SPG lounge or signage inside an airport lounge. Maybe you could ask the dragon what the story is and report back please. This would be a nice additional SPG benefit.

3. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There had been speculation another IBB at one time about a tie-in to an airline(s) club due to a survey SPG had sent out. I did not get the survey, but IIRC there were questions related to what type benefits members may place a higher value on - and access to an airline(s) club lounge was a selection. I have not idea if this could be a possible trial related to something new, but starting a new rumor is always fun!

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  4. unclepants
    Original Member

unclepants Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen that room at YYZ many times, yet I've never gone in. I'd always assumed that it was for pre-booked meetings of some kind. For those late afternoon/supper periods of real crowding in the MLL, this could come in most handy. Do you need to alert the desk that you plan to use the room, or just walk in?

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who has access to this room / lounge? Golds / Plats?

6. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I asked the question. The dragon's response was: "What's SPG?" Further explanation ascertained the room is open to all and likely just branding/sponsorship by SPG. No booking required. Still, as I say, it's almost always empty - likely because everyone thinks you need some kind of privilege to access. I only started using it because I had elite status and, as Mrs Flews likes to point out, my attitude, no matter where I am, is that I always act as though I pretty well "own the joint". So it's a great place to hang out if you want some peace and quiet. Cheers,

7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    So next time, I'm at YYZ, can I just show my SPG Platinum card to the lounge dragon to get access to the SPG Lounge? :cool:

8. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. It's not a "lounge", SPG or otherwise. As I mentioned in my post, the signage on the glass says it's an SPG conference room, within the AC International Lounge. You would still need access to the AC lounge, per the usual means. And the whole point of my post is you do NOT need to show an SPG card, or even belong to SPG, in order to access the SPG branding area.

Cheers,