Spending a few hours in Brooklyn, NY

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by MX, Jan 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm having a trip this Spring with a stopover at JFK, and trying to decide between a short (2 hrs) or longer (6.5 hrs) connect time. I'm not really familiar with the borough of Brooklyn, and understand it's changed a lot in recent years. With the longer connect time, I should have a good 3 hours to explore one of its neighborhoods. Any recommendations on which parts of Brooklyn would be suitable for a short visit? I'd prefer something with interesting architecture, local character, or a green space -- so please don't send me to a mall. ;)

Sweet Willie and Newscience like this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you thought to PM @dhammer53 ? IIRC, he used to run the annual Brooklyn Reality Tour

Newscience and MX like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long since you've been there? Some areas have changed and become more gentrified but others are pretty much the same.

Coney Island is a bit different, there's a lot going on around the bridge with Brooklyn Bridge Park, etc. I'm not sure that I would personally choose to spend a 3 hour layover looking around but I'm jaded and wouldn't even do that in Manhattan myself.

MX and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) Paging @anileze - a NYC denizen - what say you about some likely suggestions for @MX when he visits NYC and Brooklyn? ;)

MX likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take the A train to High Street. Walk along the waterfront and around DUMBO/Brooklyn Bridge Park. Should fit nicely in the time allotted.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been more than a decade, before 9/11. I am not planning a sightseeing trip to Brooklyn, just had this idea for a brief detour since I'd be in the neighborhood anyways.
    Great idea, thanks!

Newscience likes this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three suggestions involving green space and interesting nearby neighborhoods:

1. Greenwood Cemetery and Sunset Park neighborhood. Good Mexican and Chinese food.

2. Prospect Park and Park Slope.

3. Brooklyn Bridge Park, DUMBO, and Brooklyn Heights.

MX likes this.
  8. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally think it's more of a hassle to leave the airport since you only have a few hours.

viguera and MX like this.
  9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

I'd be very careful on the weekends. I've been on the "A" train before when there's been track maintenance and we've had to get off and get on buses, so just make sure you check the published maintenance schedule to make sure you won't be impacted as you'll need to allow some extra time should something be planned.

[​IMG]

I love walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. A year ago I did it an night for the first time, starting on the Brooklyn side. When I was in Brooklyn last time I saw a Shake Shack that had people lined up at the door. I remember growing up with White Castle, but Shake Shack is new for me and we don't have them in the Bay Area. I did find a Five Guys last visit when I stayed at Hotel Indigo in Brooklyn.

DHammer53 would probably not want you to leave Brooklyn without some cheesecake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PhoenixDown and MX like this.
  10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't walked the Brooklyn Bridge yet, so that's an idea! :)
    Perhaps I should save it for a longer visit though.

11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Others above have hit the nail on the head. ;)

You'll see more if you take a cab/Uber it to Brooklyn vs taking the subway (with all your time constraints).

MX said I'd prefer something with interesting architecture, local character, or a green space.

You just described the Park Slope neighborhood. 7th Ave is the main shopping street. Cute boutiques, shops, Starbucks, and restaurants. The neighborhood has homes dating back to the late 1800's / early 1900's. Tree lined streets, + Prospect Park is just a couple of long city blocks away. You could easily do a couple of hours there just hanging out and walking around, before heading back to the airport. 6.5 hours will give you a taste of the area.

viguera and MX like this.
  12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a great plan, thanks!

dhammer53 likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do downtown. Montague St then Brooklyn Bridge Park and the promenade.

I used to work on Cadman Plaza before we relocated to the city and it was much nicer :)

dhammer53 and MX like this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you have this trip? What, if anything, did you end up doing on your layover?

I have an overnight coming up in a few weeks flying in/out of JFK, arriving mid afternoon on a Sat & departing first thing in AM the following day Sun.

ACMM likes this.
  15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Willie,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm still finding my way on the new Inside Flyer site. :D
    Send me a message when you're going to be in town. I'm around Oct 24/31. Wouldn't mind going for a slice. ;)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  16. shannonbullman

shannonbullman New Member

Status Points:
    I think you should visit the Brooklyn Brewery! You can take a fun little tour and have some beer. The neighborhood it is also has a lot of interesting vintage shops and cafes to check out!

dhammer53 likes this.
  17. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good advice. Welcome to MilePoint > I mean InsideFlyer.