Spending $1 Coins

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MLW20, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only done the dollar coin thing a couple of times. However, I try to spend/ distribute as well as bring some to the bank.

In NY many gas stations now charge two prices: credit and cash which is usually 5-10 cents cheaper per gallon. I figured to get the cheaper price why not use coins!

I also use coins to buy from street vendors and other cash only businesses.

Why not distribute some coins when cash is the only option for a purchase.

2. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I drop mine in the charity boxes also

viguera and jbcarioca like this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree - I buy the coins to get points for monetary transactions. We keep about $50 (two rolls) in the glove compartments of our cars for tolls, street vendors, summer festival booths, parking meters, lap swim at the local pool, etc.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My local diner recycles the dollar coins to people that need change for the bus.

SC Flier likes this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Harvson I also keep 2-3 rolls in my car. I spent like 30 coins at a food truck event, all of the vendors loved them! I also used quite a bit at a market where only cash was accepted!

I think it's time for a new order!

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can buy Metrocards or pay the tolls (if you don't have EZPass). Although with tolls at $6.50 or more on most bridges, you'd be better off with EZPass :)

7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    EZ Pass is definitely the way to go for tolls. You get the discount plus it is linked to a credit card.

8. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the coins I get get deposited. However, I always carry at least one roll with me, for any small cash expense I may need, including metro, bus, fairs, etc. I admit I do get a kick out of seeing people's reaction when I pull out a roll or hand them the coins.

9. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My co-op charges a 2% surcharge on credit cards, so I pay for my groceries with coins.

And I get a charge out of leaving gold coins for tips - waiters and waitresses really light up when they see them.:)

10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely think there is fun to be had when paying with coins. I've never had a negative reaction but have definitely had some confused reactions like thinking they are quarters and not enough $ for the bill...

I've also had people really excited to see them. A couple of old ladies in a store once took bills out of their pocket to keep a few coins for themselves!

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The guy seated in front of me on the train has a few loose golden dollars. He must have gotten them as change from the metronorth ticket vending machine. He doesn't seem happy with them.

I've got 1,000 in my bag with me (that arrived at my office today!).

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    More and more self-serve car washes are moving to those coins as well.

13. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use dollar coins anywhere there's a posted sign stating a minimum charge to use credit cards (without getting into what's allowed / not allowed by the merchant agreement). The convenience store a block and a half away commonly receives a pile of coins when I need a six-pack.

schnitzel likes this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I generally burn about a box a month ($250 worth) for various things I can't charge on my card. I've never done the large orders to take to the bank. Not enough motivation to do so. But, I throw a couple of rolls in my bag when I travel and use them for valet tips and the like.

I actually had one cab driver in DC refuse to take them, even though he knew they were dollar coins and not quarters. Oddly, after he got all steamed up about it, he wasn't happy with the tip I left him. Would have been bigger if he hadn't complained. :D

15. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually get a kick out of spending the dollar coins. I found a shoeshine that doesn't mind. They're great for vending machines. I've had troubles with quarters and dollar bills at the machine in my office but never had issues with the dollar coins. My girlfriend thinksi'm a little weird for my stash of coins.

16. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great responses! I give my wife like 10 coins to always have in her purse and she doesn't mind using them...

I am down to about 15 coins and just placed an order that the site says will be available to ship onJune 16.

What's the most anyone has used in one transaction? My high in one shot was 25, probably not all too impressive.

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Admittedly, they were mostly still rolled. But, at a carnival I found a ticket attendant that really liked them. So, I bought all our tickets that day from him as well as a bunch of carnival games for a total of about $80.

18. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our local strawberry stand guy loves to see us coming. He says he gives the gold coins to his wife, who saves them for a rainy day. At $6 spend per visit, I hope it doesn't rain soon!

19. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it was something like $30-35 to repay a friend. She wasn't thrilled about me paying her back with coins, but she had anticipated I would give her a fresh roll of $1 and some and had resigned herself to it. :D

20. tjcabq
    Original Member

tjcabq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I was at a local gas station, handed the employee three rolls ($75), then filled up exactly $35 (coincidentally) worth of gas. When I went to collect my $40 dollars in change, the cashier gave me two 20 dollar bills. I'm sure he didn’t want to crack open the rolls and start counting coins.

This was purely coincidental, but I'll definitely try it again.

21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Los Angeles: Food trucks. Most don't take credit cards, and of the small portion that do, many charge a fee.

On the whole, the truck people seem to like them, at least for the novelty.

At the office, we also have one place that delivers lunch, but only takes cash. They don't like them so much, but in this economy, they'll take what they can get.

22. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are great responses! I feel a little guilty just bringing coins to the bank so I try to spend a bit of them. I am glad to see that others are finding ways to use them without missing out on CC miles. I hate paying cash but if places are cash only, then I am glad to use some coins!

traveldawg likes this.
  23. cayenne92

cayenne92 Active Member

Status Points:
    They work great at farmer's markets, too.

schnitzel likes this.
  24. traveldawg

traveldawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Someone please refresh my memory - know that there are some credit cards that are not going along with this program and since I haven't taken advantage of it (yet), which c/c give the points. I have DL Amex, Chase visa, and BofA visa. Will any or all of these work ? thnx.

25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second the farmers' market angle - I use them all the time there, and they obviate the need to make change. Perfect.