Spelling mistakes on airline tickets

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Robert Reynolds, London, writes
    In early December I booked two business class tickets from the UK to Hong Kong with Emirates, departing later this month. Unfortunately I made an error when inputting my wife’s name. I typed in Magaret instead of Margaret.

I did not spot this mistake until after I had paid for the tickets. A form popped up which asked me to complete missing details such as passport numbers. I was also able to input the correct spelling of my wife’s name.

Unfortunately, a few minutes later I received an email with the e-tickets and saw that my wife’s first name was still spelt as Magaret. I immediately emailed the airline’s help desk and received an unhelpful reply which said it would cost £500 to cancel her ticket.

After more emails and calls where I tried to explain that I did not want to cancel the ticket, only correct a spelling mistake, Emirates finally agreed to add a note to my wife’s e-ticket to confirm that her passport name is Margaret but it refused to reissue the e-ticket.

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/9785021/Spelling-mistakes-on-airline-tickets.html