Spellchecker?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by blackjack-21, Mar 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I searched for a spellchecker on MP and found a few threads with a mention of needing one, but can't seem to find one on here. Was anything ever tried to add one on MP, and if so where is it? Not sure everyone would use it, but it would come in handy for some convoluted words. (Easy one's that are mispelled too!)

Thanks

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Spellcheckers for forums was something that was a topic 10 years ago or so and there were addons to such platforms as vBulletin but they never took off and over the past 6-8 years spellchecking has fallen to the responsibility of the Browser since spellchecking is not something unique to just forums, but rather anything you contribute to on the Web. All modern browsers have spellcheckers in them by default though in some browsers you might need to check the perferences. Here's an ARTICLE about how best to engage spellcheckers in your choice of Browsers. I made a few mistakes typing this reply and the misspellings were identified by having a red line under the word—I use Google's Chrome on a MacBook Air laptop. Hope this helps.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy. I have the IE9 browser on my home pc with Windows7, and I'll have to check if there's one there, as I hadn't noticed it before.

Looks like from the link you've shown, only IE10 and higher has one, although there's one in my Microsoft Word, but that doesn't help for website usage. Guess I'll have to stick with my trusty Merriam-Webster when needed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Ah, i see the challenge—Microsoft. I'll have the guys see what the options are for IE9 as there is nothing I know of in modern forum software for spellchecker addons. But if there is and it can help a single member, we're on it.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any way, while you're looking for the spellchecker software, that you could also find a correction software that differentiates between the correct usage between for example: to and too; fare and fair; where and were; and similar similarities. Just joking of course, and I know the spellchecker requests had also been made in the past on your other website. Hopefully, if you're indeed able to add a spellchecker on MP, it would also be most helpful to more then just a (this) single member.

Thanks again.

6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I'll keep checking as you are important to us. Just some factoids: you IE9 members account for about 3% of our members visiting. Actually the two most popular IE versions to browse Milepoint are IE11 and IE8. Not sure why but the other IE9 members spend the least amount of time with us than any other browser member ... actually half the time of a typical visit of your siblings using IE11. Not sure what that is all about. But all is not forgotten ... this year we have had 1 person visit using IE4 and 2 persons visiting using IE5. For you and for them ... I continue to champion the spellchecker wars. As for the correction software ... I blame myself for not paying better attention in English class and as for others, they really should know better!

BWIflyer likes this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, we originally had IE8 on this pc when we bought it new a couple of years ago, but we continually were told how much better IE9 was by Microsoft, and then almost automatically had it switched into IE9, so we stuck with it after figuring out the setups for all our needs. Now we get the same prompts to go with IE10 or 11, but we're hesitating because we don't want to use our pc with a touchscreen setup, and we're not even sure it's possible with this now almost three year old pc. With our prior pc, we kept waiting so long to use the offered upgraded browsers, that we eventually lost the chance to upgrade to the newer browsers because of it's age. But that old one lasted over eleven years until I think we burned it out, before we got this one. And we don't need all the bells and whistles of the newer browsers, as we only use our computer for web browsing, emails to friends and family, and my perusing the airlines, hotels, and several FF forums, to keep informed on what's new and interesting in this ever changing environment. My wife spends her time on the computer also reading emails, and for the most part, playing interesting games to keep her thoughts active and alert, and mind active and challenged, yet having fun doing so.

I used to spend probably an hour or more on FT each day, but since I've found MP, I'd guess that my time split between the two is about 65% on MP and 32.75% on FT, with the other 2.25% on FFM or flight trackers or other airline/aircraft websites, as I'm a bit of a flying nerd and a pilot wannabee that never happened, but that's all too late for me as my ancientness precludes any actual real piloting, so I'm relegated to sometime use of my old Microsoft FlightSIM 98 to enjoy the experience.

Guess I'll have to increase my time here on MP to at least 67.33% in order to help bring up your IE9 members ratio to a more acceptable rate in comparison to other visitors. I enjoy reading and learning here, as I do on FT, and try to jump in with comments and thoughts if I can, although at times they may be competely inane or unneeded, or even verbose, with my old stories of more flights and better times, but I'm here so you'll just have to put up with my nonsense. as long as you let me. In the meantime, Randy, please try to bone up on the proper useage of to and too, fare and fair, wear and where, then and than, there and their and other confusingness, as for someone who's written so many books, booklets, stories, articles as you have, I would've thought you'd have gotten them right by now, and they do stand out as glaring errornesses whenever they do so.

Thanks again for keeping us almost airborne with the winds beneath our wings.