Speculation on AA partnership given possible AA/US merger

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by yaychemistry, Feb 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

I have no inside knowledge - I just want to spark discussion!

Lucky, at OneMileAtATime speculates that the merged AA/US will end up in oneworld.

My guess is that means most of AA's partnerships will remain with the merged airline (including AS).

Additionally, neither US nor AA are strong in Pacific NW - so AS's network will still be valuable to a merged US/AA. Though US does have a PHX hub.

Then again - who knows what Doug Parker (US CEO) thinks of the AA/AS partnership. And according to rumors, he will be running the merged airline.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...erger-likely-leaders-roles-become-clearer.ece (via Lucky at http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...-and-us-airways-merger-very-likely-next-week/)
  2. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

US Airways has said in the past that if the merger is successful, they'll make the move from *A to OW:

As a *A flyer who was going for the Aegean trick, I'm kind of sad about this - as it limits my options for flying and lounge access once the gears of the merger start taking place. That also being said, once I have *A Gold via Aegean (~13,000 more miles and I'm there), this also opens up my loyalty possibilities immensely. CMH seems to be a focus market for DL and WN, and AS plays well with AA and DL So this could either be very good, or very bad. I really have to take some time to figure out where the best ROI is for my flying dollar.
  3. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

I doubt that the AA/AS partnership would end. AS is very strong in markets where AA has very little presence. For example, SNA/LGB/SAN/LAX-SEA/PDX/YVR. AS runs multiple flights daily. On AA, you would have to fly through DFW/ORD (and there's one flight daily from each to YVR). I'm sure AA execs realize that they almost depend on AS for what I think are significant portions of their route map.

At least, as someone who flies to YVR regularly from SNA/LAX, that's what I'm hoping.
    yaychemistry likes this.