Special Thanks for Diamond flyiers?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by lmerklin, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. On my flight from SYD to LAX in Feb, I and other Diamonds were found and thanked for their patronage. We were told they were there to help us in anyway they could. We were also again contacted personally as we descended into LAX. Interestingly, I never saw the person in the 14 hours in between! Is this a regular service or the kindness of that staff person?

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  2. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    Good FAs used to do this for PMs, I experienced this a few years ago. But does not happen very often. Been quite quite a while for me personally, and not since making DM

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Yes you are correct. Good FA and Pursers do this. It is sadly very rare. Since DL on International flights does not upgrade DM. I have on rare occasions had the purser come to the back and thank me for my loyalty and offer if there is anything I need to just let him know. This was a very nice gesture and something I think all Pursers should do on the international flights. As they walk through the half empty business class to thank me :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    On Board Leader.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just experienced this for the first time last week on DL9 LHR-ATL. The purser thanks several DM's in my general vicinity and offered a drink from up front..."real wine or a cocktail" as she said. I don't think one person took her up on the offer but it was nice. FT has reported this happening quite a bit but in all of my intl travels this was a first for me.

-RM

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    OBL applies to domestic travel. Internationally, OBLs are now known as pursers.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hasn't happened to me, but I've only done 2 TATL trips on DL since becoming DM (also one each on KLM and AF)

They probably know I am really a Cubic Zirconia Medallion :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is very nice that Delta acknowledges their Diamond members onboard. Depending on how many elites are on a certain flight, they should recognize Platinum members and even gold members sitting in coach.

jbcarioca, Skyvillager and ryandc99 like this.
  9. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never been recognized in coach! Still waiting for that day! Clearly they don't know who I am!!

Dorlee, jbcarioca and DeltaExpert like this.
  10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should also add I've been recognized as a NW Plat on KL longhaul service in economy. Note: I only ever took KL longhaul between Europe & Asia, never to North America. As a NW Plat in the (way) back, the purser would greet me by name and ask for my beverage and meal choice. This wasn't done out of order (like DL may sometimes do with DM's onboard).

It's my experience that the European carriers are better at recognizing ST E+ status than DL or even KE.

-RM

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been so recognized in coach twice, as a gold. Was offered a drink once and the other time both a drink and a BE amenity kit.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been in coach, but I think I was always or almost always thanked last year as DM but not yet this year on any flight. I'm very surprised.

13. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish this was more consistent

jbcarioca and DeltaExpert like this.
  14. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be!

DYKWIA and jbcarioca like this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, you may not get special thanks from DL, but you just got a special thanks from Randy.
    Congrats! Use it in health.

jbcarioca and DeltaExpert like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never had special recognition but I have also not been in coach. I do not mind. I have had the odd FA recognize me from past flights, and one who recognized me from flights twenty years before.:eek:

Gargoyle and DeltaExpert like this.
  17. Suliman
    Original Member

Suliman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was personally thanked and given a hand-written thank you note on a flight from MCO-JFK a few months ago. Very nice!

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never received a note and, in fact, I haven't received a gift bottle of wine or champagne since the DM program started, although I have seen other passengers, probably nonrevs, leaving the aircraft with such goodies.

19. I've been recognized often for my DM status with DL. Usually as FA takes lunch or dinner order they recognized my status. Just happened last week BDA to ATL.

brfort likes this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've experienced the recognition explicitly more at the end of the flight, either as coats are delivered or by the purser of lead FA saying goodbye and thanking me during the final check before landing. Sometimes I notice getting first choice of meals when orders are taken and sometimes I get my post-departure drink before others.

21. I was traveling with my boss BDA to ATL last week when I was thanked over the intercom as FA's were preparing for landing. There was one other DM on the flight as well. My boss was pretty impressed and it was the only time that DM recognition meant anything to me!

TravelerRob likes this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's cool. For me, it's been fun a few times when colleagues have been on my flight, but positively impressing the boss is indeed very nice.

23. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    The lead FA who flys the BDA-ATL segment (Bev) is very good, as a gold even if I am upgraded or not she comes back and talks to all the elites offers drinks etc.

DeltaExpert likes this.