Special rate offered by hotel and booked by them but no points or stay credit?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by estnet, Nov 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently I had a stay that received neither points nor night credit. I was told that b/c it was a special rate the terms included these restrictions (I had never seen them b/c it was booked directly with the front desk). Has anyone ever seen this before? It's a new one for me.

Note - I am NOT looking to get something from the hotel, nor do the point and stay credit amount to anything to worry about just never knew there were such rates (except for travel industry or employee rates).

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen this usually on prepaid, no cancel rates that are similar to the rates that Priceline or Hotwire offer. Usually ignore them and go for a AAA rate or AARP which usually will give Stay and Points credit. And I have heard that certain Government rates also do not accrue stays or points. So you just have to look at all the rates and the Terms for each, to make sure your stay counts.

Counsellor likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the T&C [Terms and Conditions] is always good advice.

So far as I know, though, the government rates at Starwoods are eligible for stay and points credits.

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could the OP have had some sort of a group rate that was negotiated with the hotel, where part of the deal was no night/stay credit and no points? Or perhaps it was a special rate negotiated for a long-term stay?

Just guessing. AFAIK any rate booked through the normal SPG website does earn points and night/stay credit, including government rates and prepaid rates purchased through spg.com. I wonder what were the circumstances that caused the OP to book directly with the front desk.

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton, SPG,and Priority club all give credit and points for Government rates!

Counsellor likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never saw the terms b/c it was an "xmonth special" that said to call the hotel and didn't list the rate online- since I was extending my stay I just booked it directly there. It was cheaper (a little) than what I could see online, but more expensive that what I had paid before so I was sort of caught off balance when I was told no points.

I had never seen any rate on *wood that excluded credits (except the old rules for cash and points), just wondering if anyone else had.

7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott, too.

I've had problems with Hyatt, though.