"Special Occasion" dining in Tokyo - where to go?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by DCtrAAveler, Jun 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Visiting Tokyo in early July with my partner as part of an RTW I've put together for a milestone birthday. Land the afternoon of the 4th (my actual birthday) and am there three nights (Peninsula), leaving for BKK on the 7th. Trying to find a good special occasion restaurant at which to celebrate while we're there and would appreciate recommendations/reviews.

Me - 1st time visitor to Japan, non-Japanese speaker. Something of a "foodie," but I'm not a star collector and don't have to eat someplace just because it's highly rated. I'm more concerned with the taste and quality of the food, the overall experience, etc. I'm a generally adventurous eater and would like to shy away from western cuisine.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance for the advice.

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Sukibayashi Jiro has fantastic sushi if that is what you like.

uggboy and DCtrAAveler like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ummm S Jiro is quite an experience (expensive and very fast dining - some of the reviews I've read suggest $400 and 20 minutes) from what I've read. There are interesting videos and reviews on the web. Marc - have you eaten there? I'd love to hear your experience if so.

I would recommend chowhound.com as a good place to look for suggestions and to ask this question - you'll probably get more advice there;)

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would watch Jiro Loves Sushi on DVD. Cheaper, longer, and probably more interesting (though certainly not as tasty).

estnet likes this.
  5. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've considered Jiro, but I'm not a huge sushi fan (partner would love it though), and I've heard that non-Japanese speakers aren't really welcomed or accommodated.

6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you scroll down a bit there is a thread on this that I started and a few members made some recommendations. If you are adventurous, I would consider Toriki. It is a small bar seats/2 table joint. The chef is amazing. His skill with the grill superb. It isn't for the faint of heart. There is rare chicken, rare liver and other veggies and chicken pieces. The skin and wings were quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  7. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'll take a look for the other thread, and I appreciate the recommendation. Cheers.

Singapore Flyer likes this.