Special needs man singled out by TSA during family vacation

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Jun 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/tsa-304136-agents-security.html

When David Mandy of Detroit and his family headed to the airport for their Walt Disney World vacation, he never imagined that TSA agents would single out his special needs son Drew, 29, for a pat down.
    Turned out, the odds were against him that day.

While walking through security, TSA agents asked Drew to step to the side. The incident was prompted when agents noticed extra padding in Drew's pants that turned out to be an adult diaper. They began to ask him security questions and when David tried to explain that his son had the mental capacity of a 2-year-old, the TSA employees continued peppering Drew with questions, assuring the father they knew what they were doing.

During the pat down agents also found and confiscated a 6-inch plastic toy hammer that Drew had carried with him for over two decades as his security blanket. After tapping the hammer on the wall, the agents claimed that "it could be used as a weapon," and the family was told that the toy would have to be shipped if they wanted it returned.

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Article fails to mention there isn't just one person involved in this incident with the mental capacity of a two year-old.

3. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cannot even begin to express how mad this made me. The restraint of the parents is amazing.

cordray2643 and Jimgotkp like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is quite ridiculous... how could you? Just for publicity sake, I wouldn't be surprised if TSA requires "special" cards for "special needs" people that need to be approved by a doctor. This of course will give them more revenue for more full body scanners. I have to agree with Acedad about the parents...

cordray2643 likes this.
  5. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am embarrassed. That's all I can say.