Special Meals

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Firefly, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Firefly
    Original Member

Firefly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen many notes/pics about standard meals on UA, but not many special meals. Here's a Hindu Veggie Meal from DEN-ORD that I found much more flavorful and fresh than the usual limp pasta. Any others?

Attached Files:

FlyingFree, Hannaman and snap like this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That does look better than UA's pasta.

3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was this in F? On CO, I always found the Hindu veggie meal much better than the standard offerings.

4. Firefly
    Original Member

Firefly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in F. My Asian Vegetarian Meal didn't get loaded, and the FA had an extra Hindu meal...

5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the things I dislike about UDU is that you can't always request special meals. If I clear early, I go for the Asian Vegetarian (above) meal unless its breakfast when I prefer the Kosher option. In both cases, I almost always get a better tasting, more substantial offering than that offered to the cabin at large.

6. baglady
    Original Member

baglady Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been extremely impressed with the kids meals in CO's BF. Grilled chicken, rice, one or two fruits, cheese and crackers, veggie of some sort, etc. I'm trying to think of the variations, but the grilled chicken and rice looked very nice.

7. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Thought so.

8. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    I requested the Hindu meal on an ex-ORD flight today and got that exact meal, minus the roll (which I guess was part of the regular meal options of chicken or ravioli). I am vegetarian and alternate between requesting Hindu and regular vegetarian meals. No luck with "Asian" vegetarian in the past.

9. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, CO has not delivered my kids' meals twice recently even after confirming with them before the flight multiple times. I've sent in notes to WECARE, but have not gotten a very satisfactory response to be assured it won't happen again. I think on our next flight, we'll be having to pack our own. Hopefully this improves!

10. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    its too bad CO does not have special meals in domestic flights. However, in CO BF, the Vegetarian (vegan) meal is usually Indian food (out of EWR / IAH); the Hindu meal is generally the same as the vegetarian (vegan) meal from these two stations. the two meals are different in international stations...

11. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That meal does look good!

12. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does on justify a special meal on a UDU into first? I know that some demand sky kits but that seems a little shady to me.

karung99 likes this.
  13. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand the question - what do you mean justify? With UDU, there is often no opportunity for a special meal request, hence some people would go without an airline provided meal.

14. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But some ask for a skykit (not me) and apparently receive it. I never ever do it on a domestic flight.

15. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many things I've seen or heard about that I wouldn't do myself, I'm still not sure of the purpose of your post. Is it to indicate you have an issue with them doing that or ??

16. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was just a question seeking an answer.

17. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Here's hoping that the combined company keeps special meals domestically. I am on a medically necessary gluten-free diet and would hate to have to bring food with me on every flight! ...given CO and Chelsea...my guess is that they'll be gone.

18. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    On UA, in order to request a special meal, it needs to be placed at least 24hrs before flight time. If the pre-ordered special meal has not been loaded, frequently skykits are proactively offered by FAs or alternatively, requested by passengers.

Given that many UDUs are cleared at the gate, in those instances there is no opportunity to order a special meal and consequently, no reason to request/receive any apology/skykit.

19. Lucky
    Original Member

Lucky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would by no means "demand" a skykit, but I think it comes down to managing expectations. If someone has a dietary need and orders a special meal after their upgrade cleared, they expect that meal. I mean that in the sense that they might not pack snacks for the flight, but food at the airport, etc. When United doesn't deliver on an advertised service, I see nothing wrong with asking for a skykit.

mrpickles, Freddie Listo and Pat89339 like this.
  20. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The poster is referring to a last minute UDU where there was no advance request and the passenger still throws a hissy fit (or not) and asks for a SkyKit

21. Lucky
    Original Member

Lucky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. I think he meant that if someone is getting a "free" upgrade, they have know basis for asking for compensation. Care to clarify, THS?

22. FlyinHawaiian
    Original Member

FlyinHawaiian Silver Member

Status Points:
    If United's website didn't allow you to place your meal preference in your profile, I would be a little more sympathetic to them. The fact that they do so just creates a false expectation of service and a negative experience when it isn't delivered properly. Rather that taking the time to fix the problem, they seem happy to throwing out $$$ to disserviced customers.

23. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no "justification" for a special meal in either C or F whether upgraded, award or full fare. If you want one, simply call reservations more than 24 hours out from flight time and the agent will input the request for you. Now whether it gets loaded otoh, is annudder story [​IMG] (and as to asking for an Customer Appreciation form (nee SkyKit) is also annudder story)

the_happiness_store likes this.
  24. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agreed with OP and goalie, we need to give UA 24 hrs out notice to request special meal, if UA failed to deliver the special meal, I will request sky kits.

25. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are all the pictures of the special meals? I thought that was the purpose of this thread.:confused: Just as soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will add photos of my special meals.