Special Meals in Premium Cabins

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started ordering Hindu Vegetarian for my international coach flights as I find the main meal more interesting (the second meal is also more "interesting", but not in a good way).

Two questions:

- how are the special meals in Business First? (on my next flight I am upgraded... wondering if I should order the special meal) Taking the example of Hindu Veg, could I expect a semi-decent Indian vegetarian meal?

- what happens if I get upgraded within the last 24 hrs -- do they just dump the special meal from coach on a plate? I assume BF would probably be fully catered and they could offer a regular BF meal?

YULtide and FlyingFree like this.
  2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience with EWR-based catering = The Asian Veg meal is the Indian vegetarian meal.
    The caterer is based in the PA/NJ area...and food is usually very good.
    Of course, BOM and DEL flights usually have the better tasting Indian food.

AVML out of FRA (On CO/UA) is also Indian vegetarian

AVML out of NRT = No clue what they fed me (twice)...it looked and tasted weird..the F.A's were so sorry that they had to give me unknown stuff.
    AVML out of HKG = Basically boiled rice with veggies.

According to the old CO, "Hindu" meal is not necessarily vegetarian :rolleyes:....as some Hindus may consume some non-vegetarian stuff.

sobore and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    p.s. The current UA supposedly has 4 meal options in BF...of which one may be vegetarian (pasta based).

There was no veggie option in the regular BF menu out of HKG on my flight a couple months ago.

sobore and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The pasta I would prefer to avoid. I know it's all just airline food and I would survive no matter what.

Good to know about your HKG experience as I might face that in a couple months.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky you. It hastens my death, but I can eat some of the other stuff on the plate.

snod08 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am not a big fan of pasta under the best of circumstances, and airline reheated pasta just doesn't appeal to me. But I don't have any dietary restrictions imposed on me, I just impose some restrictions on myself where feasible (eg prefer vegetarian).

snod08 likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, vegetarian's a real challenge for me. I try to have a vegetarian day a week, but that's the most I can do.

Back to special meals, I remain perplexed about why ANA went the way they did with theirs -- it's apparently not gluten free.

8. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a vegetarian and as one who orders AVML whenever possible, my experience has been all over the map, even on the same airline during the same flight. For example, flying Thai in busness last year LAX-BKK, the Indian dinner was barely edible, the snack was pretty good, and the breakfast was fantastic! Of course, my food motto is, "A mediocre Indian meal is better than a good meal of virtually any other type of cuisine," so YMMV...maybe it's a matter of deciding what type of mediocre airline food you're most willing to tolerate...that way if the catering is just so-so, you'll still be OK, but if it's good, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

snod08 likes this.
  9. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you read TOBB you'll quickly realize that truer words have never been spoken.

The other question to ask is, Would I rather have a regular BF meal or a special Coach meal because there is always the chance that you'll have to choose between one or the other.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming I didn't need a special meal -- on Emirates, they are all made within 24 hrs of departure, as are business meals. Thus, I'd generally consider it a wash unless you were flying out of the same cities and airlines enough for boredom to be an issue.