Special invitation numbers on snail mail targeted offers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by TWA44, Feb 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I posted these questions on the Newbies Board, but got no replies. Perhaps I need the experts over here.

I am new to the miles and points game and did a small app-o-rama in late November. I am getting organized to do a bigger one in a week or so, once 91 days have passed. I have been saving snail mail offers from airlines, hotels and banks that have come to our household, some of which have 12 or 16 digit "special invitation numbers." I have a few questions:

1) Am I more likely to get approved if reply to the snail mail offer and I use the special number? Or should I follow a link for the same card, perhaps from a favorite blogger, so they get the credit, if I am as likely to be approved that way?

2) I saw a tweet from a miles and points blogger asking for a code for a particular card. ("Anyone have a code for a 100K AmEx Platinum?" Answer was: "are you 365 days since your last Plat? do you still need the link/code?") When I tweeted her, she said that the codes are not identified with a particular person - so that I could for example apply using a code my husband received. I at first thought she was referring to the 12 or 16 digit special invitation numbers I mention above. But maybe she meant a promo code or URL, not the special invitation number? Are targeted offers which have specific invitation numbers linked to a specific person?

Basically, I'd like to use whatever will make it most likely for me to get approved.

Thanks!

2. jetsfan
    Original Member

jetsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    You aren't more likely to get approved.

The special invitation codes generally refer to a specific offer. Sometimes you can get the offer without the code just by applying on their website, sometimes you can't. However the underwriting/approval process is the same.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME the codes from CSP snail mail are tied to a specific person and offer.

4. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!!