spam claiming to be upgrade notification

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HubletUAFlyer, Jul 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else get this?

My personal email account (the one on my United profile) received an email in the inbox from United Airlines Inc, titled

"Elite Upgrade Notification"

Body of email stated

You've been upgraded to Las Vegas (LAS) on wed aug 11. Your new seat is 13F. Attached is a recap of your flight information.

Attached was a file named "flight.document upgrade"

Obvious spam and I didn't open it...Just curious if anyone else received this little gift?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:

I haven't but I'd be extremely suspicious of any e-mail saying I've been upgraded to 13F to Vegas. ;)

MX, HaveMilesWillTravel and 8MiHi like this.
  3. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you check your PNR to see if the upgrade was there?

8MiHi likes this.
  4. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't click the attachment and I have zero flights booked to or through LAS.

Interestingly got a second spam email with a separate seat identified n the same routing

5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh dear!:eek:

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nowadays, any notice from United claiming a complimentary upgrade having cleared is suspicious.

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might even be a phishing attempt, if they know you fly United. Corporate espionage?

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Aug 11 isn't even a Wednesday ;)

MX likes this.
  9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spammers know that somebody on their list will be absent minded, have a trip to Vegas planned for August, not pay attention to the dates and open it hoping for some good news. The possible results are quite varied, but none of them are good. Even having opened it confirms to the spammers that your email address is valid and in use, so they can now sell it to other spammers. Prepare for the onslaught.

I'm hoping that this is a coincidence. You being a UA flyer and the email being spammed as coming from UA. That's my bet, as a successful hack of UA's system would have meant that they had access to your itineraries. That was obviously not the case. If UA's system had actually been hacked, we would all be in for a big PITA at best.

10. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the biggest concern to me is the coincidence of UA hack for a UA flyer. Hmmmm.

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it's like Bank of America email spams. United is currently the biggest airline, so they know that a certain percentage of emails on their list belong to United flyers. They get a guarantee of some opens which confirm the email's validity, then they sell them to people selling snake oil. The attached file probably contains something that tracks one's habits, keystrokes, OS, etc., all of which have varying degrees of value to the criminals behind the hoax.

Being the owner of an online business, and listening to the stories that my employees tell, I assure you that there are plenty of people out there who would not be allowed to use the internet if a license were required. Of the UA passengers (even some who aren't UA pax) they will get plenty of people opening that file.

There is no cause for alarm here, however. If I didn't get it, and most others here didn't get it, then the likelihood of it being related to UA's database is very, very small. I will sleep without a worry tonight. :)

12. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airline-related spam has been around for quite a while. I used to frequently get "flight change" e-mails from US without having booked a US ticked for many months.

Curious if this is to your work or personal e-mail? Most of this stuff has come to my work e-mail as it is public and I'm in a profession that implies travel. Fortunately our newer spam filters stop most of this stuff, but for a while it was common.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

icurhere2 likes this.
  13. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got same thing twice today- but not to my main United email address...

14. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think United used Row 13 ?

15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    They also don't send attachments with their UG notices. This thing is full of tells.

16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I receive those UA upgrade spams (I've seen 4 or 5 in my spam filters the past week). I've flown two UA segments in the past 10 years.

17. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a phish just now purporting to be from the IRS.