Southwest website melts down during 2015 annual fare sale

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by nsx, Jun 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. nsx
    Original Member

nsx Silver Member

Status Points:
    The website has been essentially unusable for 8 hours now. This is one of the worst service outages I have ever seen at southwest.com, and the sale isn't even all that great.

I suppose fares are so absurdly high these days that a merely OK sale brings a lot of buyers. About a month ago, Southwest raised its summer fares on its captive routes sky high. They later raised their autumn fares almost as high. I wasn't the only one holding off on booking until the fares came down to realistic levels.

adrianors, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The WN website has the following notice:

"SYSTEM ALERT:Low fares are popular! Our sale is causing high demand right now so you may experience difficulty on Southwest.com. We’re working to fix the issue so please try back again soon!"

uggboy likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had no problems checking routes at the beginning of the sale. This was a good reminder my wife and I discussed a weekend trip ton New Orleans, if we are going we need to brave the crush and book.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's an update now posted on the WN website:

"SYSTEM ALERT:We're extending the sale through Friday 6/5. You may be experiencing difficulty on Southwest.com due to high Customer demand, but please know we're working to fix the issue!"

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also I re-priced all my three itinerary from this weekend to October and all were purchased at a lower rate than what was available here, likely because they are weekend departures and Monday returns.

Newscience likes this.