Southwest to the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Mapsmith, Nov 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a customer in yesterday buying a small World Atlas for her Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant Daughter. The reason is the Daughter has been accepted into special training for Southwest's International Flights. Supposedly, the first location is San Juan. The other locations include Costa Rica, Jamaica, and Aruba.

Rumors from a customer of mine, but . . .
    This is just speculation but it appears that Southwest is ramping up the merge with Airtran and is starting to look at overseas in a big way.

jmrich1432 and cordray2643 like this.
  2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although it's not international, don't forget their already announced plans to start service to Hawaii. Being on the west coast I'm really looking forward to that.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  3. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would welcome the route from Chicago! I am tired of the seasonal direct United flight!

4. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts if CP will work on these new routes?

jmrich1432 likes this.
  5. nsx
    Original Member

nsx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I very much doubt it. If Southwest allowed that they would probably have to make it much harder to earn a Companion Pass.

6. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how the CP will be structured then, maybe it will say something about only for domestic flights?

jmrich1432 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? I thought that's so far just speculation based on the aircraft they have ordered. From

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/08/southwest-airlines-will-be-rea.html

One of the questions came from Louis Smith, head of FltOps.com and a resident of Hawaii: When will Southwest start serving Hawaii?
    Kelly's response was: No telling.
    Kelly said the carrier is working to develop the capability to fly to Hawaii, Alaska, the Caribbean and other near international markets.
    "I think we'll be ready in terms of our preparedness for Hawaii by 2013," Kelly said. "Whether we will fly then or ever is a different decision and a different discussion. Today we really don't have the capabilities to do that. Tomorrow we will."
    One thing that will enable Southwest to reach Hawaii profitably is its order for Boeing 737-800 aircraft, which begin arriving in early 2012. Southwest will configure those planes with 175 seats, enough seats to make Hawaiian flights possibly feasible.

8. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

I got my first SW companion pass this year. I am really curious to see how their routes develop and what happens with the CP as they do!

9. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not just the new plane orders its the ETOPS certification that comes with them. That being said I thought they had announced plans to start Hawaii service in 2012, maybe I was mistaken about that, but I think it is clear they are preparing for the capability to serve Hawaii.