Southwest Internet

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by 25years, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. 25years
    Original Member

25years Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone used the in-flight internet on Southwest? Commments? Cost?

2. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard mixed reviews. I've had it offered on several flights, only bought it on one. It was for SAT-LAS and it was awful. The ONLY thing I could do was open the twitter application. Even then, I could only read tweets being sent, it wouldn't let me post anything. I was on my phone. Couldn't get my email, CNN, facebook, any games to work. Kept telling me to check my connection. But then again, I've talked to people who said it's fast and great. So obviously YMMV.

It's $5 per segment.

3. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought it on BHM-PHX. Worked like a charm and got to do everything I wanted to do. Probably wouldn't do it on a flight 2 hrs or less.

4. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to add that $5 per segment is the current pricing during the rollout. Once all (or most) of the fleet has WiFi, the price is likely to change.

5. I used it on a flight and VPNed into our network and the connection stayed up. This allowed me to bring up my soft phone and check voice mail. I also did a test video chat and it seemed to work. I am waiting to see how the free wifi works for the A+ group

6. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It works about as good as my AT&T air card. It works, kind of slow, but if you value internet during the flight, having the option is great.