Southwest Airlines sale glitch debits thousands out of some customers’ accounts

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by sobore, Aug 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/money/consu...bits-thousands-out-of-some-customers-accounts

here’s a big uproar developing over a Southwest Airlines sale.
    The sale was supposed to save customers 50% on select tickets, but instead, many found their accounts charged thousands of dollars.

We got a call from one of our viewers who tipped us off about the problem.
    She tells 7 Action News her debit card ended up being charged 28 times for the same ticket.
    If you look at Southwest’s Facebook page, you’ll see she’s not alone.

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The revenge for all those mistaken fares on other airlines ? :D

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Extra fees?:D

4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to ask my g/f to check if this happened to her.

uggboy likes this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one reason I love Citibank's "Virtual Account Numbers" (i.e. single vendor temporary credit card numbers). You can specify a dollar limit, and it will not accept a charge above it. It will also reject more than one vendor charging the same number - which is useful if the number gets stolen online.

6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they get to keep all those extra miles. :D

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's just great :confused: they offer half off, and then double charge! Computer glitch or not ... this is a PR disaster!

kwai likes this.
  8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    One man's disaster is another benefit. I'm sure COdbaUA will take a look at this playbook. ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My g/f ended up getting charged 79 times. I'm pretty sure that's more than half the plane just to herself!

kenbo likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least she doesn't have to rush to get checked in at T-24

11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Southwest customers billed up to 20 times for single flight

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2012/08/report-southwest-customers-billed-up.html

A sale designed to celebrate Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) reaching the 3 million mark in Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) fans was supposed to give customers who booked flights on Friday a 50 percent discount on certain fares – but a “technology glitch” resulted in hundreds of frustrated customers posting stories on Facebook about being charged up to 20 times or more for a single ticket, the Associated Press is reporting.

Some would-be-fliers complained of drained checking accounts, overdrawn credit limits and canceled bank cards, the news service reported. Several said they had to wait hours when they called Friday and Saturday to talk with Southwest representatives, AP added.

12. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you're not from Houston? Because Houstonians are finding unique ways to blame United for this.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I blame Houston for all of UA's ills. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not from Houston.

Sedosi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    $mi$ek is not a Houstonian. For that matter, most Houstonians aren't Houstonians these days. ;)

15. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Apparently SW has started to notify customers that were affected that they will be given $150 travel vouchers for their mistake and inconvenience. This is in addition to reimbursement for the debit card fees that have been mentioned elsewhere.

I think UA could really learn something about how an airline should react and handle their mistakes.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which UA mistake are you thinking of in particular that is perhaps similar in nature?

Sedosi likes this.
  17. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree, a friend and I were talking about this and, on the historical e-commerce goof-up scale, emptying out the accounts of hundreds of customers ranks pretty high up there. This goes beyond the "mechanical delays ruined my vacation" type of problem.

18. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    While some media outlets might treat as a negative on Southwest, dealing with their customer service in the past it sounds like they will make everything right. My wife performed an emergency resuscitation in the middle of a Southwest flight and we got a letter a few months later from a customer service director saying that they were deeply sorry that they did not thank her sooner and gave us extra travel vouchers as an apology.

In my travels, as much as Southwest might stink from a perks for loyalty perspective, they have always been great to deal with when I have needed to change flights or make modifications to my reward bookings.

19. WormHole
    Original Member

WormHole Silver Member

Status Points:
    "As you are all too aware, the overwhelming response from Customers who took advantage of our August 3 limited time offer created website performance issues at various times during the weekend, and in some cases, created multiple charges to some of our Customers' accounts. We sincerely apologize that you were one of the Customers who incurred multiple holds on your credit or debit account.

We hope you are willing to give us another try. We are confident that if you allow us the opportunity, you will have a better experience the next time you book, and as a gesture of goodwill, we're sending a $150 Southwest LUV Voucher (in a separate e-mail) that we invite you to apply toward the purchase of a future Southwest reservation. The e-mail with the LUV Voucher code will arrive within the next few days."

Gracias, SWA.