Southwest Airlines pilot apparently tells passengers 'We're going down'

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by sobore, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/14/travel/southwest-flight-scare/

As his plane made a rapid descent to normalize cabin pressure, a Southwest Airlines pilot went on the plane's loudspeaker and apparently told passengers the aircraft was going down.

"At first it sounded like someone was coming over the PA to talk. Then it sounded like shots through the cabin, twice, back to back," passenger Grace Stroud told CNN. "Seconds later, the panicked captain said, 'We're in trouble; we're going down.'"

Another passenger, Shelley Wills, told CNN affiliate WTVD that the pilot made the remarks as the plane went into a nosedive when it neared the Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

"He said, 'We're going down.' And everyone is looking around like, 'Is this a joke? Is he serious?' And then you felt the nosedive."

Soon after, the Boeing 737 leveled out and made an emergency landing at the Raleigh airport.

Read More:http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/14/travel/southwest-flight-scare/

Newscience and milchap like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting article, that ends with the following:
    "For the "uneasy feelings" the experience may have caused her, Stroud was offered a voucher good toward a future flight."
    If I were a passenger on that plane, I'd accept a voucher for anything else but a future flight with SWA! :eek:

adrianors, sobore and mht_flyer like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah.............not cool............just..........not cool............

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds right to me. The correct action for loss of cabin pressure is, in fact, to "go down." Tripping the PA is a goof, but given the focus on passenger and aircraft safety I can overlook that. Then, coordinating the controlled loss of altitude seems like a rational thing to do. I can easily hear the pilot flying say to the other "okay, we're going down" to start such a maneuver.

5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess im thinking of a frantic cockpit conversation where one yelling "we are going down".......... If its calm cool, and collected, maybe a different situation.... but then a nose dive, after hearing "we are going down". probably not the most professional (for lack of a better term) thing to do

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the article and other analysis, the captain didn't know the PA was on (not on the checklist for this scenario) and as part of initiating the manuver to drop altitude simply told the copilot "we're going down" and initiated a controlled descent. Not the "We're going down!!!!!1!11!!!one!!one!!!!11" the media wants you to read into it.

Mrlasssen, guberif and vickers like this.
  7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    well, thats not as exciting then....... ;)

Mike Reed likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wouldn't make the news that way, would it? :)

estnet and vickers like this.
  9. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

Status Points:
    Shame on you, United, for cashing in on another airline's problem. Southwest has an excellent, all-around record, and this was a RARE mishap. United flaws FAR outweigh those of Southwest, from flight safety to customer treatment to baggage handling. I like you even less now.

10. treznor

treznor Active Member

Status Points:
    A woman I work with was on the flight. Definitely wasn't a panicky announcement by the captain but rather a more conversational "We're going down". Can definitely understand what the captain meant (after the fact), but yeah, as a passenger I'd be quite freaked out.

11. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kudos to the flight crew, the pilot did the right maneuver under the circumstances, except for the PA being on. I want a pilot who is well trained in how to handle emergencies, I can forgive whom ever for having the PA active.