Southwest Airlines Credit Card Offers Two Free Round-trip Flights

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by sobore, Jul 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.walletblog.com/2011/07/southwest-airlines-credit-card-offers-two-free-flights/

Feel bad about missing the British Airways offer for two free round-trip international flights a few months back? Well, here’s a chance to make up for it. Southwest Airlines recently announced a limited-time deal whereby consumers can score two free roundtrip flights simply by opening the Southwest Airlines Credit Card and making a single purchase.

Think that sounds too good to be true? Let’s take a closer look at the terms of this deal and see whether you are really free to move about the country with this credit card.

First of all, excellent credit is required to garner approval for this card and it has a $99 annual fee. That’s the bad news. The good news is that after making your first purchase, Southwest gives you 50,000 Bonus Points, which are worth $800 in Wanna Get Away Fares with no blackout dates and no rewards expiration. The air carrier will also give you 6,000 bonus points (equal to $100 toward a Wanna Get Away Fare) each year on your Cardmember Anniversary, and you earn 2 Rapid Rewards points for every dollar spent through Southwest as well as its hotel and car rental affiliates and one point for every dollar spent on everything else.

The question therefore becomes: What exactly is a Wanna Get Away Fare, and are there any restrictions or blackout dates?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    First prize: one RT ticket on WN, Second prize: two WN tickets.:p:D:eek: (Sorry, but I couldn't resist. WN is not BA)

3. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    HI
    I am not familiar with Southwest at all , went to site and see you can redeem points for gift cards at about $0.01value , I never use miles for gift cards etc as I use them for international travel only--but 50,000 points is $500.00 gift card ( net $400.00) after fee ---- could not find any other airline partners - do they have any [​IMG]--also do not see a way to transfer points to a hotel or use partner airline

4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a great deal if you live in the southwest and fly a lot of cheap short hops as 50k pts could easily be equal to 5+ round-trip tickets (e.g. LAX to SFO, PHX or LAS). Even if you keep the card beyond the 1st year, they are directly compensating you the value of your annual fee.

Million Mile Secrets likes this.
  5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have the link for point redemption to hotels/car rentals/gift cards?

SC Flier likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks RLS. I'm expecting my new Chase cc shortly. :cool:

SC Flier likes this.