Southwest Airlines Challenge

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Newscience, Jan 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was pleasantly surprised to receive a challenge email from Southwest Airlines yesterday. As an A-List Preferred customer last year, I did not quite fly enough miles to retain that status, although I'm still an A-List customer. Anyway, below is the email received from Southwest. Perhaps variations of this challenge were also have been sent to their not-quite A-list and not-quite Companion Pass customers?

Here's the body of the email from Southwest:

You came close to earning A-List Preferred status for the 2014 Membership year, so we are offering you an exclusive opportunity to ensure you don't miss out on perks such as a 100% Earning Bonus and Free Inflight WiFi (on WiFi-enabled planes only).

Follow these steps to earn promotional A-List Preferred status through December 31, 2014:
    Step 1: Register by February 28, 2014.
    Step 2: Earn 7,000 Tier Qualifying Points* from flights booked through Southwest Airlines® by February 28, 2014.
    Step 3: Complete your flights by February 28, 2014.

That's it! You'll enjoy A-List Preferred status through December 31, 2014.

uggboy likes this.
  2. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You must book and fly during the 4 week window. Previously booked flights do not count. Not very happy about this. I book 2 weeks out, so essentially I only get 2 weeks worth of flights to get 7K TQP! Not going to get there!

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likewise! I could do a 7,000 point spend with a couple of back-to-back full-fare ("business select" or "anytime") tickets. But, is it worth it? Not when I can spend the same amount of $$ and get at least twice as many flights at the lower ("wanna get away") fare rate through advance purchase.

Interestingly, the lowest advance purchase internet fares seemed to have vanished from the SWA website. I guess that SWA is getting more like the big airlines, and their standard low prices are no more.

Perhaps someone out there can take advantage of this offer, but 4 weeks is indeed much too short a time to do so.

cordray2643 likes this.
  4. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Southwest is going away from what made it special. My flight this past Sunday to BKG was canceled and when I called they told me they couldn't get me out until Monday afternoon. Since this was the first of 8 flights this week, there was no way I could wait until Monday (I had a Monday afternoon flight out of SGF on United). I then asked about getting to Tulsa on Sunday afternoon and they said it was available but would charge me $274 to change it. Frustrated, I asked for a supervisor and after a lengthy conversation, she made a "one time exception" and threatened that she would not my account and that this was the only time this would happen. Now a days, United treats me much better is these types of situation than SWA. So sad...

Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew WN yesterday, after signing up for this challenge. As I'm already an A-List (downgraded from A-List Preferred), the challenge was for A-List Preferred. But my SWA ticket lists me as A-List, rather than A-List Preferred.

It appears that the real challenge is to get WN to pay attention to their own promotions!

cordray2643 likes this.