Southwest Airlines announces international routes starting July 1

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by MSYgirl, Jan 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

Southwest Airlines Co., which now carries more domestic passengers than any other carrier, announced Monday that it will make its first foray into international service on July 1.

The airline will begin with nonstop flights into Nassau, Bahamas; Montego Bay, Jamaica; and Aruba. By the end of 2014, it will also begin service to three Mexican destinations, Mexico City, Cancun and Cabo San Lucas, and to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

But travelers out of Dallas Love Field need not get excited about flying nonstop to any international destinations. They’ll have to make at least one stop in the United States before they reach a non-U.S. airport out of Dallas.

That’s because a change in the Wright amendment in 2006 prohibited nonstop international service from Love Field. That ban stays in place, even after the ban on flying nonstop to any U.S. destination expires Oct. 13.

Southwest chairman and chief executive Gary Kelly drew an analogy between Southwest’s decision to begin its international flights in three cities and Southwest’s 1971 launch of service to three cities in Texas.

Southwest is taking over the seven international destinations from AirTran Airways Inc., the subsidiary it acquired in May 2011.

WilliamQ, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a SWA frequent flyer, the continuing integration of WN and FL is welcome news! I'm certainly looking forward to the day (not yet arrived) when I can use my SWA FF points to travel internationally - well, at least in this hemisphere! ;)

A few years ago, SWA had partnered with another airline to offer flights from the US mainland to Hawaii, and that arrangement went belly-up after a short time. It will be great if this WN/FL integration goes smoothly! :)

satman40 and uggboy like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or as my local "news" said: "Southwest is going global"

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  4. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would love to see them start flying to Canada as well.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  5. Scott Weinberg
    Original Member

Scott Weinberg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see its happening anytime soon. The taxes is very extremely expensive. They won't be in Canada. They won't consider it.

pointshogger likes this.
  6. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it's not international, but I sure wish that WN would (finally) start offering service to Hawai'i.

satman40, iolaire and Newscience like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's interesting that you brought that up! WN used to fly to Hawaii - through a temporary partnership with ATA Airlines, before ATA went belly-up in early 2008. That was during Southwest Airlines' "old" benefits program, when you received a voucher good for a free flight after 8 r/t flights. For the trip to Hawaii, WN required 2 vouchers from the CONUS (the "Mainland").

There has been no shortage of rumors about whether WN would re-start a Hawaii connection. It would be great for the competition fares! See a couple of links below concerning the rumors:

http://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawaii-airline-update/

http://skift.com/2014/01/23/the-par...ules-out-charging-bag-or-change-fees-in-2014/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    satman40 and iolaire like this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ATA use to be Ambassidair, and Voyager before that, based out of Indy.

Use to be great, belonging to the private club.

Geo owned the company, fly the planes once in a while and hand signed all the checks, really a great guy...

They partnered with South West on the Hawaii run,

Little history,

9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Canada could use a little serious low cost competition which WN would bring, also saving many people living near the U.S. borders having to make the trek across to take advantage of the lower cost flights. I don't think it will happen too soon, but they would be a welcome addition to keep those rising cross border airfares in check.

pointshogger and satman40 like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of my wife's friend use Toronto, to get a cheaper flight to PEK or PVG, also seen a flight to IST a little cheaper, but they are flying Air Buses.

Bad memories of the Air France and the recent SE Asia crash/disappearing plane.