Southwest Airlines adds new fee to board early

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by sobore, Jan 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/morning_call/2013/01/southwest-airlines-adds-new-fee-to.html

Want to get to the front of the line first? Pay $40.

The new fee guarantees passengers flying Southwest get to be among the first 15 passengers in line, the Chicago Tribune reports. The airline already charges $10 for its Early Bird Check-In service, which improves a passenger's seating positions in the boarding queue.

Read More: http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/morning_call/2013/01/southwest-airlines-adds-new-fee-to.html

foxberg and uggboy like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does this affect Business Select Passengers?

uggboy likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to this article, it appears that BS will still be around.

Feels like UA's F upsells at check-in.

WN can't add baggage fees, that will kill them since it has been their marketing message for the past couple of years. They're just hopping onto the add-on fee bandwagon.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But could they introduce an "expedited bag processing" fee -- gets you something similar to the *G Priority tags?

5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was about to post this last night, must've fallen asleep before doing so.

My thoughts on this as an A-List member are of great dismay...I fear this will be the Business Select seats that aren't sold. I'm hoping the high cost means people don't often buy up because even around A22 where I'm usually at as an A-List member I often am among the first 10 to board and get an exit row. If they start selling the unused first 15 boarding numbers it will mean that not only will people less familiar with SWA boarding slow down the boarding process but they'll take the seats I otherwise would have had.
    Hence, the way I see it. Just another airline diluting their elite benefits.

foxberg and sobore like this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    But that's not in their current set up, they don't even do that for elites.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if you read the FT/MP posts about the *G priority tags, you will find many that will claim that it's purely decorative and has no influence on actual bag delivery order :)

8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The next step is to offer to pay some extra to be the first among those that already paid $40. Or, I have a better one: live auction at the gate an hour in advance with the "Number One Over All" boarding privileges going to the highest bidder.

9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm also a ST E+ so I know all about that. DL at DIA is horrible about that.

10. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even though it was somewhat chaotic, I miss the time when SouthWest's boarding process was more of a "Meritocracy" - get here early, get a good seat, regardless of what you pay. It sounds like sectioned seating will be the next step, if not traditional assigned seating.

sobore and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you are right. If there are a decent amount of takers at $40 then I see all sorts of fees coming related to seating.