Southwest 2 Card Companion Pass Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Traveling Momma, Feb 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    HI all, I just signed up for both the personal and business 50,000 mile Southwest credit card getting me almost there to earn my companion pass. The spend threshold is $2,000 for each card in 3 months. Will I get my points if I spend this amount in 1 month? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks.

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!
    Yes, you should get your points as soon as you complete your spend. However, you won't get your points until a day or two after your statement closes.

3. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    super! any creative ideas on how to get the next 10K to get to the 100K mark? I need to do this in the next 30 days.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Darius at Million Mile Secrets had a post about that sometime ago. Maybe search his blog:
    http://millionmilesecrets.com/

Cdnblue likes this.
  5. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    I think Darius at Million Mile Secrets had a post about that sometime ago. Maybe search his blog:
    Most excellent! Found it.

6. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took the same path as you - both personal and business. Those were my two very first cards when I started this 'hobby' last year.

I was able to benefit from the Vanilla Reload / BlueBIrd option to pay off some big home improvement bills that were due. That, in combination with Chrsitmas shopping via the rapid rewards shopping mall did the trick for us.

You can still pickup standard $500 gift cards at various places. It's harder to use them without a bill pay option, but if you are highly motivated, you'll find ways!

7. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Mapenn - great advice. I don't quite know what Vanilla Reload and BlueBird are yet. I'm going to look this up. Also, if I get my companion pass now does that mean it's good through the end of 2014? I've read some conflicting information so not quite sure.

8. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, Vanilla / Bluebird option is pretty much dead. My Walgreens held out until a few weeks ago. It was just an easy way to convert credit into a bill pay service.

And yes, you are correct that the companion pass would be good for the remainder of this year and the entire next year. I planned poorly and didn't get mine until November of last year :(

Cdnblue likes this.
  9. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends where you're located. I live in KC, and the 2 CVS's I frequent have tons of Vanilla reloads, and my brother has had luck finding them in Tulsa. It's certainly worth checking out your local CVS if you have one located near you. One of the easiest ways to get that extra 10k in points.

Cdnblue and mapenn like this.
  10. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    The methods I used to do this within a week at the beginning of January were as follows.

• Amazon Payment(s)
    • VR's (varies by location)
    • Varies gift card purchases (you can then use them for daily spend)
    In reality you don't need an extra 10K points but only 6K since you have to do $2K on each card for the 50K bonuses.

Cdnblue likes this.
  11. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there anyway to get the points to post before statement close?

12. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    No but you can move the closing date up

13. Mbcijim10

Mbcijim10 Member

Status Points:
    Just went through this. It's not your first statement, it's your second statement.
    My statements were roughly (statement 1) Jan 20 - Feb 18; (Statement 2) Feb 19 - March 20. The 50,000 miles post a day or two after March 20.

I screwed up and applied for the business card a couple weeks later, in the next statement period, so I ended up paying for the flight for one of us. It's OK though we use 18,000 miles out of 120,000 miles. So 102,000 miles and a CP later, my goal is to use up the miles while we have a CP pass. That's a lot of trips in 20 months, at least for me. Hopefully 2015 she can do it in her name, rinse and repeat. Free domestic travel at least for 2 years, hopefully 4.

boondr likes this.
  14. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My second statement won't close until 5/14. Do I have any hope of getting companion pass to book a 5/25 flight?

boondr likes this.
  15. Mbcijim10

Mbcijim10 Member

Status Points:
    You can book your companions flight with points then cancel if the cp pass comes through in time.

boondr likes this.
  16. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Success. Points posted 1 day after my first statement. Crisis averted

boondr likes this.
  17. Mbcijim10

Mbcijim10 Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! Didnt work for me.

boondr likes this.
  18. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So everything posted quickly. I bought the remaining 6000 points I needed from Hyatt and Choice hotels. Took about a week to transfer over but it all came through this morning.

Days like this make this whole points/miles thing worth it.

Booked my girlfriend and I two trips. One to New Orleans and one to Vegas. About $1500 worth of flights for $20 and some points. Fantastic. I can get use to this. So even factoring in $150 in card fees, $400 for hotel points and $32 for VRs, I'm still way ahead. And all that is sunk costs, so going forward pure joy.

Best part is due to some gambling last October I got 3 nights in Vegas at The Hotel for a total of $139 (including $25/day resort fee) plus $100 in food credit. So 3 nights in Vegas is going to cost $149 for room and flights. Awesome.

Cdnblue likes this.