Southeast Asia Trip In A Nutshell

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MLW20, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    We got back from Southeast Asia a little over a day ago and our schedules are a bit out of whack due to some jet lag. I guess it should be expected considering how much flying we did and the fact that we were on the other side of the world (12 hour time difference!).
    While Kim and I had been to SE Asia twice before, it was Lucas' first time to the area. We all had a great time, met amazing people, saw some great sites and ate some really good food.
    Lucas was like a rock star/ celebrity during the trip. Just about everywhere we went we got stopped to have pictures taken of him. This was especially the case in Bali.
    Bali is probably the ideal place to visit for a baby that loves attention and being held. Kim and I got to eat almost every meal with a waitress holding and playing with him. We also enjoyed a couple of massages with Lucas again being entertained by the staff.
    [​IMG]
    Here are some details about the trip:
    • Countries Visited: Three- Singapore, Indonesia (Bali) and Malaysia
    • Total Miles Flown: 23,898 (data taken from TripIt)
    • International Flights: Business Class on Egypt Air & Singapore Air using United miles
    • Flights Around SE Asia: We had three flights with budget carrier Air Asia
    • Lodging: We stayed in a variety of places, all were fine. We also used airbnb for the first time which was an amazing experience!
    Check out the rest of my post HERE

sobore, infamousdx, Kalboz and 4 others like this.
  2. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you do the MS flight JFK-CAI-(BKK)-KUL? I've considered taking the J class but two factors I'm curious about-- was the food Egyptian in any way? Also, were the seats 180 degrees flat or...well how would you describe the hard product?

Thanks,
    BuildingMyBento

3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did not do the flight that you mentioned. We flew JFK-CAI on Egypt Air, then CAI-SIN (with a one hour stop in DXB) on Singapore.

The seats on Egypt Air went pretty much 180 degree flat which I found great. They were a bit narrower than the Singapore flight but I didn't find that to be a problem. I actually preferred the Egypt seats. The service on MS was nothing great, same goes for the food. The food had some Egyptian touches but nothing too crazy.
    It was definitely interesting taking two carriers to get to Singapore. When we booked on United this was what was available for the dates we needed and it worked out fine.

4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    How did this part go? Can you give more details on this? Thanks! :)

MLW20 and estnet like this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! You can check out my Airbnb post HERE. Curious if it is something that you would try out? Sounds like you are interested!

Kalboz likes this.
  6. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was this Lucas's first international trip? I have a son who is only a few weeks old and my wife and I are trying to determine what age is ideal in terms of handling long-haul flights.