Southeast Asia mulls single visa for tourists

Discussion in 'Asia' started by AmericanGirl, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/business/11997.html

Agence France-Presse . Jakarta

Travellers could soon be able surf in Bali, shop in Singapore and eat spicy street food in Thailand before crossing into Cambodia and cruising the Mekong in Vietnam — all on a single tourist visa.
    The Association of Southeast Asian Nations is working on a plan that would open the region to foreign tourists in the same way Europe’s unified visa system has streamlined travel.
    ‘You would just have to apply for one visa and you could then visit all the countries using that visa,’ said Eddy Krisneidi, an official at the Jakarta-based ASEAN secretariat, which recently released its Tourism Strategic Plan for the next five years.

gleff, savydog and Chimpy like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm skeptical that they'll get there. Fortunately most countries are visa on arrival for US citizens, if visa is required at all. Though Vietnam was pricey in advance at ~ US$65 if I recall correctly. And Vietnam and Indonesia take up full pages in the passport, they're pretty but with as expensive as it is to get pages added these days...

3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope they seriously consider Cambodia's eVisa program. It's convenient to apply on line, not too expensive, and you can quickly pass through immigration instead of applying on arrival. Also doesn't take up a page of your passport, it's on a separate piece of paper.

In any case, I view ASEAN's goal as a very positive improvement.

4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure Thailand will do their utmost to block any implementation of this unless they can move to restrict the length of time any individual can stay within their borders. Other than thiscynicism it would be a great idea.

5. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    They've been mulling this since my first stay in Thailand circa 2004, and they couldn't even pull off the originally planned version covering Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia alone. I wouldn't suggest holding your breath for this to happen any time soon.

kwai likes this.
  6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did I miss something a couple of years ago? I have a full page sticker. I believe I have one from Laos too. Both were relatively painless to get in advance living in the DC area [actually visas are mostly painless to get here in DC - except for the cost of some of them]

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's painless to get a Cambodia and Laos visa at the airport or border as well. There was a big discussion in our parallel universe about the Cambodia e-visa and many like it. If memory serves it's $25 instead of $20. My personal feeling is it's not worth it, but I usually fly into PNH which doesn't get as backlogged as REP can. Well, that and I have a long term visa. :D

Just an aside, the regular Cambodia tourist visa (e-visa or regular) is not extendable. The $25 Business visa is, for up to a year at a time.