South Pacific from US via HNL on Award?

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by mrredskin, May 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Planning on HI for the honeymoon next year (May 12 through June is available for us) and first considered just going to HI. Then I got to wondering if it would be worthwhile or possible (via points/miles, of course) to continue on to the South Pacific. Maybe split it up 5-6 days in HI and 5-6 somewhere else like Fiji, Australiza, NZ, etc...

Here's currently what I'm holding:

AA: 173k
    Avios: 104k
    DL: 235k
    HI: 36k
    SW: 110k (companion pass (hers))
    UA: 119k
    US: 340k

also:
    MR: 85k
    UR: 75k

We're based around TYS, CHA, BNA, ATL (in that order of preference). If we had to use companion pass to position to west coast for better availability, we could.

I'd prefer to keep fuel surcharges and fees at a minimum, if possible. Obviously I'm loaded with US, so that would be the most convenient to use. Could also use Avios to position from TYS or BNA to ORD or BNA-DFW for only 4.5k each

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking into this as well so I'm curious.

I was told it was "extremely difficult" to head out to Fiji/Tahiti and the like on Star Alliance because of the limited number of flights.

US to Hawaii is only 70k during low season but having taking that flight on their 757 I can tell you that it's not as nice as it sounds... :)

mrredskin likes this.
  3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    70k in F or J, right? Which alliance/airline and time of year? I thought I read that if you can find a 76x then you get a better J product, but can't remember where I read that or which alliance it was.

4. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    This doesn't help with using miles, but if you book a reasonable amount of time in advance you can usually get SYD-NAN-SYD or AKL-NAN-AKL (the latter is usually cheaper) for roughly US$300 RT a/i.

I use www.hot.co.nz to find stuff ex-AKL, as they do a lot of screen scraping of local airline websites to find things that the airlines only offer through their own sites. Don't book through HOT though, they'll charge a booking fee which you don't need to pay if you book direct.

Of course, your AA miles can also be used to book flights on Air Pacific (Fiji's national airline) of which there is generally pretty generous amounts of availability.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    F on US metal in the winter. I was there in January ex-EWR.

I read the same, and quite frankly next time I'd do UA for a bit more miles. Domestic F to PHX on the A320 was decent, but the old bird on the last leg was really long in the tooth.

Keep in mind that if you're planning to use the US miles they will kick your plan right in the throat with their restrictions. You can only do one stopover or open jaw per region and Hawaii still counts as region 1.

Not that you can't work it with the other miles though... Maybe use the US miles to get to HNL and make your own stopover by flying with someone else from there to the South Pacific.

6. afchief777

afchief777 Member

Status Points:
    Remeber, June in Australia and NZ is winter so pack tropical and cooler temp clothes!

7. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a comfortable 55F here in AKL today. :D

...and 80F in Fiji. Go figure.

viguera likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    US points can be used on any *A partner. That means booking using US points and flying on UA or NZ is the same price as flying on US. :-:

suenam likes this.