South Korea Mileage Run Options

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by iterfacio12, Jan 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good morning all. I'd like to get a start on gaining elite status with some airlines this new year, since I've been unable to do the typical level of flying for business purposes last year. Essentially, I'm starting off at ground zero. My focus will be on United. However, I've had some difficulty finding runs starting off at ICN. As per usual, the destination doesn't particularly matter, though I'd prefer runs on the weekends. My wife has been convinced to jump in on these with me, so at least I've gained a victory there. I've been using ITA to search up some options, but I haven't really found anything that cuts the cake yet. Any help would be appreciated, especially from someone who's been in the same boat. Thanks much.

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    As another tool I find google flights very easy to use and have found some things I don't think I would have found so easily on ITA.

3. theresa_don

theresa_don Active Member

Status Points:
    Google flights: nice find! Thanks! I am new to this site, travel hacking, etc. hoping to find a nice MR on UA from Portland OR

4. shallowdeep

shallowdeep New Member

Status Points:
    This only works in the USA. How about Australia? Anyone have any ideas :)

5. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are QF flyers who fly to the US for a few weeks to do hardcore AA runs for status. Outside the US, doing a traditional MR (say... the classic UA SAN-SFO-EWR-BWI type run) isn't as easy to do. It's better to keep your eyes peeled for international "good deal" type fares with good cpm and jump on them. LCCs in Europe and Asia make it easy to position yourself to any cheap flight out of your region. Otherwise, do what I used to do when I lived in Asia and buy a $900 flight to the US and do your MRs there.

6. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    iterfacio12, did you find anything from ICN or GMP... or even PUS? I'd be very much interested to know as I will be in Seoul from the end of August onwards.

7. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I wasn't able to find anything that was an acceptable CPM. I decided I'd just enure & start again when I head back to the States come August. TBH, the best options I could find involved heading back to the US & conducting the mileage run there, which I didn't feel inclined to do. Sorry mate.