South China Explorer - Share your thoughts and expertise

Discussion in 'Asia' started by savydog, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed some award flights with SQ using their offshoot Silk Air to destinations such as Chengdu and Shenzhen that are the same points as going to Singapore from Brisbane. I have put together a rough plan of flying to Chengdu to see the pandas, using Air China to fly on to Guilin to explore the Li River. Finally on to Guanzhou or Shenzhen, as I can return back to Singapore and home from either of these cities.

Any thoughts on these areas, including particularly the things you enjoyed doing, would be great. I don't want to head down to Hong Kong or Macau this trip, but places on the China side of the border around my departure area would be of interest. Photos are also most welcome.

Sorry Mangy, requests for me to climb the highest peaks in these areas will fall on deaf ears :)

2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, Mangy and savydog like this.
  3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    An expose, I like it. The other part of your post, not so much ;)

Kalboz and Chimpy like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been there--the earthquake forced me to reroute--but locals have told me that there 's a new museum of anthropology/archaeology in Chengdu that's outstanding. This would have been new in 2008.

If it's now too far, you might want to consider seeing the Three Gorges Dam via river cruise if you haven't already been there.

Kalboz, Chimpy and savydog like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, Chimpy and savydog like this.
  6. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will discuss the above in detail, face to face over a few beers, in about 1 week.

In the meantime, start looking at Yangshuo (about 1.5hrs from Guilin), instead of staying in Guilin. Perhaps also glance at Lijiang (Yunnan Province) if a domestic flight within China suits). All quite touristy, but very pretty and ideal for a short trip.

In Lijiang, you can pop out to see Dr Ho (from Michael Palin's Himalaya fame.

Kalboz and savydog like this.
  7. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming :) I am looking at the last week of november as this is the only time I can have 8 days off work before the years end. I was hoping to keep heading in a southerly direction to find warmer wanderings :) Cold is okay if there are pandas to see :)

Kalboz and Mangy like this.
  9. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good :) I have met the farmer who discovered the terracotta warriors so this would be a good addition to my collection :)

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    MG and I cycled out to see Dr Ho and his wife in 2008. He's a bit of a nutter, but it was fun nonetheless.

Just past Dr Ho's village is Jade Dragon Snow Mountain - there is a cable car if you are interested. I believe that the most recent series of The Amazing Race (USA) went there, as well as to Lijiang

11. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are planning to go to Chengdu, Jiuzaiguo (Nine villiages of Tibet National Park) is pretty close.

It is magnificent and mind blowing scenery especially in the fall months. We did the Chendu to Jiuzaiguo a few years ago and we were completely taken away.

Highly recommend it.

12. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thoroughly enjoyed the 24 hour train ride from Chengdu to Kunming. The scenery was extraordinary, the route going through some ruggedly mountainous areas you'd otherwise never have the chance to see, and the train stops long enough in a number of small towns to allow you to get off and get some photos. Be sure to book a soft sleeper (a compartment with 4 bunks) and you will have a comfortable journey.

Both Chengdu and Kunming are worth spending several days wandering about, also.

savydog likes this.