South African Airways thread

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Middle East/Africa' started by philcape, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Poor old SAA: always the bridesmaid... [​IMG] [​IMG]

No, of course it doesn't warrant a board of its own. But ironically it is generating news at the moment with its fleet expansion and the new non-stop JNB-JFK.

So I thought I would bring the wallflower onto the dance floor and hopefully encourage some chatter.

Globaliser, Bizi and alex0683de like this.
  2. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are indeed some good things happening at SAA at the moment. Now if only they could make Voyager a more attractive programme!

faridamyburgh and Globaliser like this.
  3. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps by occasionally making some J seats available? [​IMG]

It's not the meanest programme by far. And it has some nice features. Also been impressed with the call center lately - hope it lasts!

4. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I don't know. I think having miles expire after 5 years without hope of appeal or a way to prevent it is pretty mean. And the award levels are a wee bit high.

And I'm not impressed that they don't publish a table of fare classes so you know what earns what on partners.

5. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair comments. I don't have to worry about miles expiring thanks to the credit card. Have you got orphan miles? I might be able to advise. I have to watch SO's account because his do expire so I have some experience.

6. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's quite a flight, so let's hope that anyone planning it can find a way into a premium cabin.

Can I get a SAA fllight into Rwanda or do any gorilla safari hopefuls need to risk Rwanda Air?

7. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    You obviously love primates! :D

SAA flies to EBB and you could track gorillas in western Uganda (as I did). Or you could drive into Rwanda from there. Either way it's a LOT of - very unpleasant - driving. The distances are quite manageable but the roads and the traffic are horrendous. I was really glad I did it but if I wouldn't do it again in a hurry.

Maybe the best is to fly to Kigali via NBO. I hear the roads in Rwanda are infinitely better than those in Uganda. And you can use SA, KQ or Precision Air - all of which seem preferable to Rwanda Air.

8. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, but I have friend based in Stellenbosch who has accepted my advice to cash out of Voyager and plans to accrue with United going forward. It would have been bmi, but that ship will have sailed soon. And he finds himself on Emirates every now and again, so United seemed the best fit.

9. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I accrue with bmi when I fly! My Voyager miles are purely due to cc activiities these days. The Voyager cc is generous with miles earning - 1 miles per R6 spent on the Amex. The cc also ensures my miles don't expire. Plus I get great value out of the annual companion ticket - which is the main reason I have a Voyager account!

alex0683de likes this.
  10. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does that mileage expiry protection apply to all of the Voyager Amexes? Because I think my friend has one, but is convinced that his miles would have expired this year (or at least the first batch of them).

11. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need a minimum spend to protect your miles. R60k spent will protect your miles for another 12 months. (It's the same for all the cards.) Details here.

alex0683de likes this.
  12. I have SAA Voyager and now BMI. Lots of miles on Voyager how to get them across to BMI to consolidate?

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not possible. Sorry.

Points generally are not able to be moved between programs like that. If they were then they wouldn't be very good at encouraging loyalty, which is their whole point.

14. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are there any transfer partners (similar to SPG for many airlines) for SAA?