South African Airways resumes direct Johannesburg-New York flights

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Middle East/Africa' started by sobore, Feb 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/n...irways-resumes-johannesburg-new-york-flights/

South African Airways has announced that it is resuming its popular non-stop flights between Johannesburg and New York – JFK International Airport.

The non-stop flight will resume on March 9th, nearly three weeks ahead of its original schedule of March 28th.

While SAA’s New York-Johannesburg flight has continued to operate on a non-stop daily basis, the return flight has been temporarily making a one hour refuelling stop in Dakar, Senegal, due in part to lower travel demand during the winter months.

The non-stop flight will be timed to arrive in New York in the early morning, allowing customers to quickly connect on flights to points throughout North America.

Read More: http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/n...irways-resumes-johannesburg-new-york-flights/

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, SAA is part of Star Alliance. Would one be able to redeem Mileage Plus miles for the flight?

You'd think so, but when I search for award travel NYC-JNB on United's site, even with flexible dates it comes back "united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements." :confused:

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA's website is wonky today as they try to update their systems to jack us out of more miles. ;)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I happened to be playing with that last week. If I recall correctly (I looked at tons of different routings), I was able to see some awards for JNB-NYC, but nothing for NYC-JNB.

Counsellor likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There, I fixed it for you.

Counsellor likes this.