South Africa using mile

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rosseinrazzore, Jul 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. rosseinrazzore

rosseinrazzore New Member

Status Points:
    Please educate me on the various ways to go to south Africa using miles.

2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's incredibly broad. Can you give us a bit more to go on?
    Where do you live now?
    Do you have balances with any carriers already?
    When are you wanting to go?
    Where, SPECIFICALLY in South Africa are you going?
    etc.

3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Poitns guy had a trip report to capetown and he talks about how he got there, so I recommend reading that report.

B1BomberVB and WilliamQ like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to get here on miles and it turned out to be impossible to find premium class award seats for the dates I needed (no flexibility). Oh wait, I am lying... there was easy availability on Egyptair from Europe to Johannesburg with a layover in Cairo.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or . . . since you were going to Jo'burg, you can go the "long way" on Cathay via HKG using AAdvantage miles.

Flyer1976 and B1BomberVB like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's one route I didn't think of, but I did try BA and "the long way" via UA miles.

It might be that seats open up closer to our departure date, but I had to lock in dates and ended up sending $$$ to BA for WT+ seats. Frustrating since I have plenty of miles sitting around.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does AA allow transit to Africa via South Asia on one award, or would you have to burn two? My understanding is that for some regions (most importantly: North America->Africa) this would not be allowed. AS allows a transit of HKG on CX, but that would be using AS miles, not AA miles. ;)

Of course, the poster who started the thread didn't state where they were originating from, or much detail at all. Maybe they are starting from Namibia. :D

8. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bad idea since it will count as two awards...only exception for this is Alaska Mileageplan which charges only 70k in F and allows a stopover in HKG.Or if you want to fly via europe you could take AF/KL in J and stop there too for 70K

The best with AA miles is QR since you can route via DOH in one award plus no fuel surcharges and you get the Dreamliner to SA.If you have US miles,for 110k in J its probably your best option.

United J for 80k is still a decent value.I was able to book myself earlier on JFK-VIE-IST(23hr 50min stop)-IST-LOS-JNB but I locked it for 60k before devaluation. :)

Counsellor and B1BomberVB like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's actually my final destination, but I was willing to buy the Jo'burg - Windhoek leg separately if I could have found premium award space to Jo'burg. Now it's all on one BA/Comair ticket and I don't have to worry about connections. And three legs on BA's A380.

The OP definitely needs to provide more information.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think at one point in my search I saw an award in one direction that required a connection with change of planes in LOS. I did not consider that as a viable option based on what I have read about LOS on FT.

11. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was the only routing available for my dates when I booked it.Since then I was able to change it to JFK-JNB nonstop,I just wanted to highlight that you can even make a "mini stop-over" if you desire

eponymous_coward likes this.
  12. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, LOS (Lagos, Nigeria) is/was blacklisted by US Dept.(s) of State &or Homeland Security as "does not maintain effective security measures!" :eek:

Counsellor likes this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    By far the most convenient way to SA using miles besides flying direct on DL or SAA would be using miles on any NA airline to GRU and flying SAA to JNB (or on to CPT).
    Shortest time in the air (important if in coach) and no overnighting at the transfer point. (with the additional advantage of avoiding BA and more importantly LHR)
    I have flow this route a few years when one was able to get SAA awards with DL miles.
    Found SAA business to be quite a decent product.

SPG points are convertible 1:1 to SAA miles.

Counsellor likes this.
  14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    S. Africa is always a toughy, especially when you have no flexibility with dates. Personally, I think AA miles are best to S. Africa right now since award space on EY is pretty good.

15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that 70K each way in Business? I tried looking that up, but was unable to locate it.

I presume you would use ATL on DL as the gateway to Europe/CDG? Or KL to AMS then to JNB or CPT?

16. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS doesn't allow to mix airlines on awards(besides adding AS segment).AF/KL is an exception to that.KL is a little stingier with premium spaces to SA but AF isn't too bad.

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 2.18.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 2.18.25 PM.png

Counsellor likes this.
  17. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Actually, I'm looking to go from MCO or MIA to Kilimanjaro to see Tanzania and return, in premium, for two pax. The concept should work, since feeder flights are usually included in the TATL, so something like MCO-(ATL/IAD/JFK)-AMS-NBO-JRO and return in Business for two sounds workable, particularly if I can be flexible about dates.

However, when I go to Flying Blue, I'm not finding any 70K + $151 range, rather I'm getting 100K to 120K miles plus ~$500 in taxes and fees per pax each way.

I can't even replicate the one-way flight you're showing (~8 Sep JNB-CDG-AMS-JFK); rather it shows 100K miles +$620 for the least expensive award (and those are on close but some different dates).

Can you help me here to figure out what I'm doing wrong?

18. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's because we're talking Alaska Mileageplan not flying blue !

Counsellor likes this.
  19. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite a difference, but I'm not a member of the Alaska program. Do they sell miles if you become a member?

20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they do.

Counsellor likes this.
  21. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points: