South Africa : Questions And Answers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by adamefimoff2, Aug 13, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think of Going to Cape Town at Cape Grace and then to singita?

How does one get through safely through JoBerg ?
    My mum recons we will need a group tour?
    any good operators ?
    And places to eat?
    Any other lodges rather than singita?

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think you could get a private transfer setup? In joberg we stayed at the Hilton and there were various uniformed chauffeurs waiting for guests in front of the hotel. That could be setup by the lodge or an African travel agent or even American Express travel.

3. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes how safe was africa?

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did not feel uncomfortable any time, except when I went to a dialysis center that didn't have Wi-Fi and my wife worried about me since I could not check in for the 4 hours. Then later when the center secretary emailed her to tell her I'm running late (because she didn't know how to process a credit card) my wife thought it was sketchy and that I'd been kidnaped! All the more reason to get a local SIM card so I don't need to rely on center WiFi...

But otherwise we got a transfer to our lodge from the lodge and realized it would have been find to drive on our own. We took the local commuters train out to see the penguins in cape town and although the train was beat up we felt safe.

We took the Gautrain train from the airport to Sandton in Jberg and drug our luggage around to the Hilton. That's a very upscale area and we felt safe.

Walking around Cape Town was fine.

So we felt safe, but like all countries there is opportunity for something random to happen.