South Africa or Europe

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by AdamAlex, Sep 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Is
    Singita and South Africa worth it or is Europe better for sight seeing and a family trip. I would love a people to message me as well.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

South Africa or Europe, I mean, these two aren't really comparable, all two areas you cover here offer distinctive destinations and choices, it truly depends on what you're looking for in experiences from let's say Europe, cities, history, architecture to let's say South Africa, in the case of the Singita offerings safaris. Of course, Europe as a continent and South Africa as a country can be very worthwhile for family trips. It truly depends on what you want to see and to do on holidays.
  3. CFFrost

CFFrost Member

Why choose?

Many of the flight options between the US and JNB / CPT require a connection in Europe. Make it a stopover instead - maybe a week or so? Then on to South Africa!
  4. travel4art

travel4art Active Member

Hey there. I think they are both fantastic ideas! My fiancé and I are planning a trip next summer to London and then to South Africa. We originally were going to just fly to South Africa but we decided since we would have to stop over in Europe anyways we decided to do a week in London in addition to our stay in Cape Town. I also have done all the research and selected planned activites in each place for our travel wedding registry. I think it would depend on how old your children are. Europe I feel is a more intellectual trip and South Africa is a more active and adventure based trip. If they are young a lot of walking in Europe might tucker them out and they might not fully understand the rich history. Africa might be good for children with all the animals, beaches and safaris. Maybe talk to your children and see what they think. Here is what we have planned:

Cape Town:
    2 day safari stay
    Wine tours
    Hike table Mountain on a guided tour (only 3 hours to peek)
    horseback riding on the beach
    Boulders beach to see warm weather penguins
    Shark cage diving
    South African Museum (art)
    VA water front and shopping

Buckingham Palace
    Tate Modern
    A Ride on the London Eye
    Tea Time at The Ritz, London
    The Old Globe Theatre
    Visit Westminster Abbey

I think also Europe has the perk of being able to see a few countries in one trip easy by train. Good Luck!
    uggboy likes this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

6. gigglemal

gigglemal Active Member

Cape Town is perhaps my favourite city in the world - I'm a Brit - and South Africa is such a wonderful country. CT is very cosmopolitan and so much to see and do, plenty of variety.

O&O is a fantastic hotel/resort, but very expensive of course - there's some good 5 star/luxury hotels in CT and around for at least third of what you will pay at O&O.

Robben Island is a great shout, good visit - very informative and run by ex-prisoners. Make sure you book tickets in advance, very difficult to get availability for walk-ups.

Winelands is a must, spoiled for choice but Spier is a favourite. Lots of them are expanding into 'boutique hotels' and restaurants, so it's possibly an option to spend one night there.

Table Mountain is a good half-day visit, easy enough to drive to station, hop on the fast funicular, then just do the photo thing with some fantastic views. Even if you're not walkers, there's some short trails (ten minutes) take you to some excellent viewpoints that look out over the bay, island, city etc.

There's several tour guide/companies, but I found one called Escape to the Cape seems to offer custom-made itineraries, and has some good recommendations, based on a luxury people carrier - with ipads/wifi etc. I know CT well but my GF has never been, so I was going to hire the company to do a 'best of drive' (to save me doing it) while she snaps and emails her friends.

Hope this helps, and you have a wonderful trip :)
  7. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

I did safari in Sabi Sands and tours around South Africa (part of a larger itinerary w/Botswana and Vic Falls) I worked with Rhino Africa and stayed at Inyati and enjoyed it. My private tours were less than 10 people -it was with Hylton Ross (rhino and others do private tours also)
    I would say it depends on the kids ages and interest levels - the game drives start at 6am and last 4 hours, then you come back for breakfast and a break. Tea is at 3:30 before the evening drive at 4 with dinner around 8. You are paying too much money to miss any of these so can your kids handle this schedule?

London is good for kids but if you have time, I agree tack it on the SA trip if you can layover there